Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have posted here before and found many knowledgable people that were of great help. Thank You.

I have a good handle on my high tech tank now thanks to your help.

I am running 4 watts plus pg of water. Ihave no alage! However my kh seems to go up beween water changes. I am running CO2 with a ph of 6.8 and kh of 4 after a water change. It then goes to around 6 in just a couple of days.

I am dosing according to the Kirb PMDD. 4 m/L per day.

Is it the maginiusium that is raising my KH?
I am not at home much these days and worry my co2 may go to high.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I have posted here before and found many knowledgable people that were of great help. Thank You.

I have a good handle on my high tech tank now thanks to your help.

I am running 4 watts plus pg of water. Ihave no alage! However my kh seems to go up beween water changes. I am running CO2 with a ph of 6.8 and kh of 4 after a water change. It then goes to around 6 in just a couple of days.

I am dosing according to the Kirb PMDD. 4 m/L per day.

Is it the maginiusium that is raising my KH?
I am not at home much these days and worry my co2 may go to high.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Magnesium in the PMDD might change your GH but it won't touch the KH.

Is your GH rising along with the KH? If so then it sounds like you may have a carbonate mineral in your tank. What is your substrate like? Do you use stones or shells in the tank?

Roger Miller

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was in a similar discussion over at APC a while back on this. A few of us had noticed white particles in our Eco substrates and Nikolay e-mailed Carib Sea about the rising KH and here is their response:

"Dear Nikolay,

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention and for the kind words regarding our Eco Complete for plants. I do ocassionally have a customer report a rise in KH or pH or both. The phenomenae is temporary and appears to subside sooner with the use of CO2. The black material itself is perfectly neutral. This points to two possible causes. First, we process the mineral aragonite on site and it is possible that on windy days a small amount of dust may settle, undetected, on the material prior to packaging and the acidic black water solution would consume/convert it to a dissolved buffer which would be released into the aquarium causing a short term rise in pH/KH. If some solid phase dust particles made it to the system the use of CO2 would create carbonic acid which would quickly consume/convert aragonite into buffer creating a short lived rise in pH/KH.

The other scenerio could be a possible surface coating of limonite (a hydrated iron carbonate) which is sometimes found as a surface coating on volcanics. This too would show the same chemical effects and it too would be temporary. It is difficult to pin down because neutral water is so easily shifted in the pH range of seven by miniscule amounts of carbonate and so is difficult to detect. I have instituted procedures that should eliminate the dust possibility, and if that was the source of the pH shifting off neutral the problem is fixed. I have not heard of this happening lately so maybe its done. Thank you again and please keep me posted.

Sincerely,
Richard Greenfield Geologist, V.P. CaribSea Inc."

If you want to check out the complete post it is here http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1396

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
About eco and kh, I can tell you I have it in a 10 gal and the kh is 2 degrees higher in that tank than in my other two without it, and there are no rocks in it to cause it to go up. The tap water is same as the other 2 tanks. It started out higher from day one and has never dropped back to my others. However, I must say that plants seem to love it and I much prefer the look than the red of flourite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.