Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay you all first a little about myself. I am brand new to this forum. I used to be big time into aquariums, when in high school and college, was a manager at a top notch aquarium store in New Orleans. However due to Grad school I have been out of aquariums for the past six or so years. I have recently set up an old 30 gallon long to get my feet wet again. However things have changed dramatically since I took a hiatus from aquariums. Where does one start in learning about the new compact lighting and brand for brand what is good and not good? I am lost in this whole compact lighting system. I currently have two 36" regular strips with power glo bulbs in them, but this is just temporarly until I can educate myself on the whole lighting set ups. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks in advance and this seems like a very informative site.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay you all first a little about myself. I am brand new to this forum. I used to be big time into aquariums, when in high school and college, was a manager at a top notch aquarium store in New Orleans. However due to Grad school I have been out of aquariums for the past six or so years. I have recently set up an old 30 gallon long to get my feet wet again. However things have changed dramatically since I took a hiatus from aquariums. Where does one start in learning about the new compact lighting and brand for brand what is good and not good? I am lost in this whole compact lighting system. I currently have two 36" regular strips with power glo bulbs in them, but this is just temporarly until I can educate myself on the whole lighting set ups. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks in advance and this seems like a very informative site.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i also have a 30gal long, so this will be easy. go to www.ahsupply.com and check out the 96W kit. it is called THE BEAST. the kit costs around 60, and you will need to buy one of their 6500K bulbs. this is exactly what i have, and it is awesome. look around ahsupply.com some and read about their reflectors. they are 62% more efficient than regular reflectors.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Russell, thanks for the help and the reply. After looking around for a week, I had come pretty close to purchasing the compact lighting from AHQ. I think I will just go ahead and do it, it sure is a lot cheaper than what you can get at a fish store or for that matter on the net. I like the discus avatar, is that one of yours? When I was full bore into this years ago, I was breeding discus and bettas heavily. Not sure if I will get into that again, but am ready to get some fauna going in the tank. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts