Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never really thought much about this hobby until recently. One of my neighbors has a couple of tanks, and was having a problem with PH levels. Curious, I looked over a book on aquarium fish at a bookstore and got drawn into the science of the hobby.

Within 2 weeks, I had purchased and read 2 books on the subject. I found myseld growing ever interested in this hobby. Dutch aquariums were my favorite type and made the decision to commit.

So, today my tank is started. Naturally, I need advice and encouragement. I'll explain what I've got going now.

55 gallon tank. A filter that purified the tap water to extract all the nasties. 4-6 inches natural, non-epoxied gravel, partially of crushed granite. Several granite rocks collected from the mountains around here.
I boiled and scrubbed the rocks, but some iron oxide remains on the rocks, I assume that that's OK for the plants. No?

My access to plants is limited, and I want to perfect keeping these cheap plants before I add more. Moneywort and red Ludwigia. A few snails and my neighbor's beligured Delta. The poor guy kept getting the crud beat out of him by his tankmates. He seems quite happy here.

I'm looking over other postings for information, but any here would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I never really thought much about this hobby until recently. One of my neighbors has a couple of tanks, and was having a problem with PH levels. Curious, I looked over a book on aquarium fish at a bookstore and got drawn into the science of the hobby.

Within 2 weeks, I had purchased and read 2 books on the subject. I found myseld growing ever interested in this hobby. Dutch aquariums were my favorite type and made the decision to commit.

So, today my tank is started. Naturally, I need advice and encouragement. I'll explain what I've got going now.

55 gallon tank. A filter that purified the tap water to extract all the nasties. 4-6 inches natural, non-epoxied gravel, partially of crushed granite. Several granite rocks collected from the mountains around here.
I boiled and scrubbed the rocks, but some iron oxide remains on the rocks, I assume that that's OK for the plants. No?

My access to plants is limited, and I want to perfect keeping these cheap plants before I add more. Moneywort and red Ludwigia. A few snails and my neighbor's beligured Delta. The poor guy kept getting the crud beat out of him by his tankmates. He seems quite happy here.

I'm looking over other postings for information, but any here would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
here is a list of things you will need.

high tech tank (what most of us have, grows a larger assortment of plants):

1. better lighting. the light that comes with a 55 gal tank is not adiquite.
2. new substrate. not completely necessary, but it helps with the roots.
3. co2 injection. you can do pressurized co2, or diy co2, which you can read about in the "build it and they will come" section.
3. fertilizers.
4. test kits, to monitor fertilization amounts.

low tech (lesser plant selection, but cheaper):
1. better lighting, but not as expensive
2. read about it in the "el natural" section

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK! I went nuclear on the lighting. I found an old shop light at work (twin 48" fluorescent) grow bulbs putting out a respectable 3800 lumens.

CO2 injection system, with fermenting sugar.

The store just got in a fresh supply of plants so I bought up a bunch.

People here have such nice looking aquariums. Soon I'll post my tank pic if all goes well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts