Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current project is a new 12 gallon nano cube aquascape.

As you can see I am using Eco complete. I think I have pretty much decided to create a "Mound" type aquascape. It seems the most logical design for a cube, and it would be less effort, (perhaps)

I don't really have any set plans. I am going to just make this up as I go along. And all of you are welcome to chime in as I go!

My real challenge as far as I am concerned is to create a Mound unlike anything anyone else has done before.

Here are some things I am considering using:

This branch I collected from the Oregon coast. It measures about 18" from the tallest tip to somewhere at the base horizontal section. It will have to be secured or buried to keep from floating.

This is a peice of dense hardwood that I have hadf for years in various aquariums. It still has some thread attached to it. Each side of the V measures 8 or 9"

This is a peice of petrified wood with a hole in the center. The picture is horrible, but it actually has some burly wood texture at the top. THe whole thing is only about 3 or 4 inches across.

The last items to choose from are two peices of corkbark, also previously used: they still have dried up java moss still attached. One is about 7" long, the other is 9" long. Both about 3" wide or a little more.

I definetly want to use the thin long branch. Ev erything else I am not sure about. Any thoughts or suggestions at this point?

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My current project is a new 12 gallon nano cube aquascape.

As you can see I am using Eco complete. I think I have pretty much decided to create a "Mound" type aquascape. It seems the most logical design for a cube, and it would be less effort, (perhaps)

I don't really have any set plans. I am going to just make this up as I go along. And all of you are welcome to chime in as I go!

My real challenge as far as I am concerned is to create a Mound unlike anything anyone else has done before.

Here are some things I am considering using:

This branch I collected from the Oregon coast. It measures about 18" from the tallest tip to somewhere at the base horizontal section. It will have to be secured or buried to keep from floating.

This is a peice of dense hardwood that I have hadf for years in various aquariums. It still has some thread attached to it. Each side of the V measures 8 or 9"

This is a peice of petrified wood with a hole in the center. The picture is horrible, but it actually has some burly wood texture at the top. THe whole thing is only about 3 or 4 inches across.

The last items to choose from are two peices of corkbark, also previously used: they still have dried up java moss still attached. One is about 7" long, the other is 9" long. Both about 3" wide or a little more.

I definetly want to use the thin long branch. Ev erything else I am not sure about. Any thoughts or suggestions at this point?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Its no good mixing different wood types. If you want to use the twig than find more twigs that are the same type of wood. I think having a mound of maybe 2 differents plants with the twigs coming out would look cool.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its funny you say that Shane, because after looking at this:

I pretty much came to the same conclusion! So I am going to ditch the bigger peice of wood, and cut up some more of the thin branchy driftwood. Next question is do I want to use the corkbark? I am kinda leaning toward NOT, because it may ditract too much from the branchy wood, which I want as a main focal point.

I am going to have to find some small rocks however to keep the branches weighted down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think that different woods in an aquascape are necessarily distracting. It depends on how you use them. The corkbark definitely looks out of place. The hardwood piece, however, could become a good root-looking piece of hardscape. I have noticed that in nature I tend to find snags where twigs have become caught up in the roots of trees along the shoreline. The twigs come from all along the stream, so there might be a few different types of wood. I think what I am trying to say is that if the different types of wood are alluding to different parts of the tree, I don't think that it would look unnatural. I do agree that you are going to need more twiggy pieces.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't know how far you are right now with this new tank. But if not too far off, then I would suggest the same in ditching the big bog wood. Use the smaller, twisty ones instead. You could create a rather disoriented and chaotic look with those alone. It would look like a series of maze in which the small fish and shrimp can swim in and out of. I like your concept, because often times in nature, things aren't orderly.

Paul

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, here is the next stage

Then I took four pots of E. acicularis, (dwarf hairgrass), and separated them out into smaller clumps. Hairgrass roots are very shallow, so for this reason I left some of the rockwool on the plants.

The hairgrass is planted all the way back to the rear corner. I am going to trim it shorter in the front and let it grow taller in the back.

·
Registered
0 Posts
quote:

The hairgrass is planted all the way back to the rear corner. I am going to trim it shorter in the front and let it grow taller in the back.
Based on my experience with hairgrass, you will find it hard to have it short at the front and long at the back whilst still looking good. When you trim it, the tips will go brown and regrowth will mostly come from runners.

Do you have enough lighting to try a glossostigma / hairgrass combo? Perhaps if you have lower light levels you could use Marsilea in the front and hairgrass at the back.

I think you could get away with the different wood types if you used the dense driftwood in more of a plant anchoring role. Cover it in plants and you wont even see it

·
Registered
459 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by locus:
Based on my experience with hairgrass, you will find it hard to have it short at the front and long at the back whilst still looking good. When you trim it, the tips will go brown and regrowth will mostly come from runners.

Do you have enough lighting to try a glossostigma / hairgrass combo? Perhaps if you have lower light levels you could use Marsilea in the front and hairgrass at the back.

I think you could get away with the different wood types if you used the dense driftwood in more of a plant anchoring role. Cover it in plants and you wont even see it
I agree with locus, you have to slope your substrate to get the hairgrass to have that hillside look, trimming it will only last for 2 or 3 days between trimmings. Be forewarned that E. acicularis will grow 6 inches tall. I'm having trouble maintaining E. parvulus which grows 4 inches tall in my 10 gallon tank.

Hairgrass is also very invasive when it settles in. You need to be diligent in uprooting stray plants.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I do have it slopped. I do not mind the trimming. It is a small tank, and pretty easy to do, and I suspect it may not grow THAT fast, but even so I can deal with it. I'll see how it goes. I added some more hairgrass today trimmed shorter, and I will add some petite nana and some other plants in the next couple days. I will show more pictures over the weekend.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Well, staring at this I see things that I am not sure about. I am trying to make a path going up to where the peices of wood meet, can you see it? I am thinking the dirty white rock has to go, and I am thinking the peice of wood closest to the front should possibly be re positioned, maybe lower? What do you all think?

·
Registered
5 Posts
dont see the path but definitely agree that u remove the dirty rock. driftwood in front seem ok in first pic but on second pic and different angle it seem angled too high. just a thought

·
Registered
17 Posts
Robert,
The dirty rock has to be covered up or removed. I think the that the driftwood in the back left corner has to go . It pulls your eye way from the rest of the aquascape. I too think the piece of wood closest to the front should be re positioned it is to close to the front glass.

Hawk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts