Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when you have LFS credits? I look for just one more spot to put a new tank. Here is the last spot left in my aquarium room. This 15gal will fit nicely under my 30gal. I plan on using it as a shrimp tank. I have had shrimp but they have sooner or later became live fish food. SO this time this tank is just for them and a small clean up crew ( Cory's, Otto's and Black Mollies )

In my past three redoes I have used this trick of cutting the bottoms out of milk jugs to ether keep in or out aggressive foreground plants or to for a terrace. Here I am using it to save on Eco-Complete. IN this area I will have ferns and Amubias. The rest of the tank is going to be foreground plants. By using the container to hold some plain gravel I could get by with just one bag of
Eco-Complete. I cut three jugs to form the size container I wanted and then used plastic wire ties to hold it all together.

When setting up a tank you want to have every thing set right the first time especially when it fits as tight as this one. I use black paper background for the back and one side. This tank fits so tight I wanted to make sure you couldn't see the back or side walls. I put some plastic side rails for the lights to sit on. I don't use glass tops on any of my tanks any more. When your doing maintenance on 5 plant tanks and three fish tanks you are all ways putting on or taking off tops. Pulse cleaning them, so I find it much easier not to use them.

Here you can see how the plain gravel and Eco-Complete are kept separated by the jug bottoms. The level of both are the same. If you ever want to make a terrace out of jug bottoms cut the juts taller and line the front with rocks or driftwood. Once your plant grow in you will never see the jugs.

Once it all together and set back into its final spot. You can see there is not much room for error here.

Finally you can see its filled up and ready for plants. What makes this work in such a tight spot is the use of the Duetto DJ 100 submersible filter. It takes up very little room. No HOB their such a pain for plant tanks, plus you need four inches in the back and room on top to remove them for cleaning. In my other 15gal tank I use the Duetto Dj 100 and all so made it a CO2 reactor that is work great so am using the same set up here. Lights are two 15w 9325K NO fluorescent for now. I may put an AH CF light kit in these fixtures in the future. I will up date pics when I get the plants in.

Its so much fun setting up new tanks!!

Hawk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do you do when you have LFS credits? I look for just one more spot to put a new tank. Here is the last spot left in my aquarium room. This 15gal will fit nicely under my 30gal. I plan on using it as a shrimp tank. I have had shrimp but they have sooner or later became live fish food. SO this time this tank is just for them and a small clean up crew ( Cory's, Otto's and Black Mollies )

In my past three redoes I have used this trick of cutting the bottoms out of milk jugs to ether keep in or out aggressive foreground plants or to for a terrace. Here I am using it to save on Eco-Complete. IN this area I will have ferns and Amubias. The rest of the tank is going to be foreground plants. By using the container to hold some plain gravel I could get by with just one bag of
Eco-Complete. I cut three jugs to form the size container I wanted and then used plastic wire ties to hold it all together.

When setting up a tank you want to have every thing set right the first time especially when it fits as tight as this one. I use black paper background for the back and one side. This tank fits so tight I wanted to make sure you couldn't see the back or side walls. I put some plastic side rails for the lights to sit on. I don't use glass tops on any of my tanks any more. When your doing maintenance on 5 plant tanks and three fish tanks you are all ways putting on or taking off tops. Pulse cleaning them, so I find it much easier not to use them.

Here you can see how the plain gravel and Eco-Complete are kept separated by the jug bottoms. The level of both are the same. If you ever want to make a terrace out of jug bottoms cut the juts taller and line the front with rocks or driftwood. Once your plant grow in you will never see the jugs.

Once it all together and set back into its final spot. You can see there is not much room for error here.

Finally you can see its filled up and ready for plants. What makes this work in such a tight spot is the use of the Duetto DJ 100 submersible filter. It takes up very little room. No HOB their such a pain for plant tanks, plus you need four inches in the back and room on top to remove them for cleaning. In my other 15gal tank I use the Duetto Dj 100 and all so made it a CO2 reactor that is work great so am using the same set up here. Lights are two 15w 9325K NO fluorescent for now. I may put an AH CF light kit in these fixtures in the future. I will up date pics when I get the plants in.

Its so much fun setting up new tanks!!

Hawk

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I know just what you are saying about setting up new tanks. My latest hasnt been up for a month and i am thinking of a new one. I......must......reee.....sist!!! HAHA Do you have a gallery where I can check out shots of your other tanks?
jB

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason,
This is my 75gal in its birth. It gone thru some changes that I should really up date pics.
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=5196060812&m=3886089054&p=1

This is what happen to my 75gal. Its on the mend now but I am still having a little problem with algae.
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=8796060812&m=1161061311

Here is my 36gal bow tank up to date. BUT not for long. I plan on a redo in days.
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums?q=Y&a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=1306023812&m=7726027185&p=1

Most of my other tanks are more for gorwout tank or fish breeding. I put plants in them to mature or sell at the LSF. (2-20gal tall, 2-15gal, 2-30gal)

If you want to get an idea of where I spend most of my free time take a look at "The Hawk's Nest"
http://aquabotanicwetthumb.infopop.cc/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=4006090712&f=6786076222&m=890101546
I've added the extra 20gal tall and the 30gal now. I hate to have to say this but it looks like I will be adding on the the Nest this summer. Bummer Hu?? N----O----T LOLOL As long as I keep trading plants and fish I have a never ending supply of store credits I must spend!! I have some tank in the gallery and some in the first contest. I really need to make a web page but time is short and spring is going to be here soon. I have a pond to get back in shape and flower beds to start working on.

Hawk

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Thanks for sharing man. You got some great stuff there.....its not suprizing considering the amount of knowledge you share with the forum. I do quite a bit of web dev and computer programming.....if you need a hand with putting a site together, I would be more then happy to help. My site is www.baliban.com , there are no pics of aquariums yet.....but there will be over the next few months. I am also thinking of doing one for ahsupply. After seeing all the love that goes to them from the forum....I was thinking of redoing their site with the help of people from here. What do you think of that? Kind of a thank you.....and their site now is terrible. HAHAHA Thanks again for sharing. I love this place.....I have spent so much time here in the last week or two. L8r
jB

·
Registered
0 Posts
what are you going to grow in the cartoned off section? i am guessing some hairgrass
looks good so far hawk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Russell,
Actually the carton section is just plain gravel. I used it to save on Eco-Complete. In this area I am going to plant stuff like Ferns and Anubias. These plants are attached to small rocks and driftwood. They feed mostly form the water column so they should be fine in just plain gravel substrate. The rest of the tank will have root feeding plants like Crypts and foreground plants. Here is a pic of what I have so far.

I need to decide on what type of foreground plant I am going to use. It will depend on light. Right now I have 2x15w NO 9325K This gives me 2w/gal. with low levels of CO2 this tank should be fine. How ever it will limit me on foreground plants, so if I use something like Baby Tears this might work. BUT if I want faster growing Baby Tears they would need better lighting. Not wattage but penetration. What I am thinking about doing is getting 2x13w CF from AH and fitting them in the NO fixtures. If what I have been saying " its more important to have light penetration then watts/gal "
this would be a time to prove it. So over the next few months I will add CO2 and some foreground plants, we will see how they do and then I will change the lighting to CF and lets see how they compare in growth. Sounds like a plan!

OH!! If you look closely at the pic you can see some algae. Look closely, they have been dipped in a bleach bath. The algae is turning a gray showing that its dead. The mollie clean up crew will have it eaten up in a week if I don't feed them.

Hawk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts