Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site but I'm so glad I've found it, because I've been debating for a week now about my lighting situation for my new tank.

I have decided to go with a 30" CF fixture, and was pretty sure I was just going to do the single 65W setup. But I've really been drawn to planting Glossostigma as a foreground carpet and everything I've seen about this plant is saying it will need more light than I will have.

So my questions are: Should I get a double bulb CF fixture with 2 65W? Does this plant really do poorly with only 65W? and Might there be a similar carpet plant out there that doesn't require so much light?

In looking for similar plants I really like the tiny leaves and the low compact growth of the Glossostigma.

Thanks so much for any help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm new to this site but I'm so glad I've found it, because I've been debating for a week now about my lighting situation for my new tank.

I have decided to go with a 30" CF fixture, and was pretty sure I was just going to do the single 65W setup. But I've really been drawn to planting Glossostigma as a foreground carpet and everything I've seen about this plant is saying it will need more light than I will have.

So my questions are: Should I get a double bulb CF fixture with 2 65W? Does this plant really do poorly with only 65W? and Might there be a similar carpet plant out there that doesn't require so much light?

In looking for similar plants I really like the tiny leaves and the low compact growth of the Glossostigma.

Thanks so much for any help.

·
Registered
0 Posts
i have seen one that is very similar to glosso but requires only medium light. i have a 30 gallon long with 96 cf watts. it works very well, but with your height, you might go with the 2x65 fixture. have you looked into www.ahsupply.com for your lighting? i believe it is top of the line.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did check out their retrofit kits, and they seem to be a good value, but are they complicated to assemble? I've never done a project like that before.

Also, I currently have a 30" All-Glass single tube flourescent strip light, so would I be able to fit a 2 x 55W kit in one casing?

·
Registered
0 Posts
i'm not sure if that would fit. i do know that ahsupply sells the housing for them also.

i put an ash kit together all by myself in about 30 minutes. just to tell you how electrically inclined i am, i had to ask my dad what a wire nut was

·
Registered
0 Posts
As far as glosso goes it does need alot of light ro it will start to grow up and that just isn't cool looking. I through one of the books i got here and came across Hemianthus callitrichoides (common name: Drawf helzine) though the book says it needs "bright" light it doesn't say anything about what that means in watts for different tank height. not having any experience with this plant i will leave it up to you to decide.

I've never used a retro fit kit but I can't imagine you having to much trouble with it and if you do thats what forums are for. I have a 30 gallon tall and i used 2 96w quad. power compacts (heres a link:http://www.hellolights.com/96w10quadbul.html )
and i'm sure that if you went this route glosso will florish in your tank.

This is the ballast im using by the way:
http://www.hellolights.com/aroelpocoba.html

If new lights did tickle you silly then a friend of mine got this deal for his 30g long:
http://www.hellolights.com/55wat8822jap.html
buy one get one free
which he is using with the same ballast. We built hoods for them for scratch though you i can't recommend anything in that department.

oh, sorry about that tangent there i don't even know if you were shopping for new lights. Well it may help someone if not you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts