Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 90 gal tank that recently has been set up. Having some hair algae problems. Using 4 actinic white vho 110 watt bulbs. Tank is 24" deep. If I calculated this right, (watts/gal) I have 440 watts divided by 90 with an answer of 4.8 watts per gal. 3bulbs would be 3.6.

Should I run three bulbs instead of four?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I currently have a 90 gal tank that recently has been set up. Having some hair algae problems. Using 4 actinic white vho 110 watt bulbs. Tank is 24" deep. If I calculated this right, (watts/gal) I have 440 watts divided by 90 with an answer of 4.8 watts per gal. 3bulbs would be 3.6.

Should I run three bulbs instead of four?

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
That might help. I had the same set up on a 100 gallon tank and I ended up cutting back by one bulb. It seemed to make it easier to balance. What you then need to do is make sure you have enough C02 in the water and you are feeding your plants correctly. With the right balance of these things, algae can be kept at more of a minimum

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Robert. I probably will cut back to three bulbs instead of four. When I initially wired the lighting system I almost did this. My gut instinct was to only use three.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts