Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question or not, but I figure since I'm a newbie you all will help me anyway.

OK I think I've decided to go with a 2x55W kit from AH Supply, and try to build my own hood. (Thanks Russell for the advice) But now I need to know which bulbs are best? I believe this setup uses 2 straight pin 55W CF bulbs.

Again I have a 30g tall tank, that is currently empty but hopefully will soon be well planted (including a couple high light plants) I have no experience with compact fluorescents, all I have used in the past are the Coralife Nutri Grow Plant lights.

So any advice on which bulbs and the best place to get them would be great. Also if you know of any appropriate bulbs that would work on this setup from local hardware/chain stores I'm interested in that. Thanks so much and feel free to send a PM if you'd rather.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question or not, but I figure since I'm a newbie you all will help me anyway.

OK I think I've decided to go with a 2x55W kit from AH Supply, and try to build my own hood. (Thanks Russell for the advice) But now I need to know which bulbs are best? I believe this setup uses 2 straight pin 55W CF bulbs.

Again I have a 30g tall tank, that is currently empty but hopefully will soon be well planted (including a couple high light plants) I have no experience with compact fluorescents, all I have used in the past are the Coralife Nutri Grow Plant lights.

So any advice on which bulbs and the best place to get them would be great. Also if you know of any appropriate bulbs that would work on this setup from local hardware/chain stores I'm interested in that. Thanks so much and feel free to send a PM if you'd rather.

·
Registered
0 Posts
you probably wont be able to find cf bulbs in a hardware store, then again i live in a rural town in oklahoma. i use a 6500k bulb in mine. it is what many people here have used. i would at least use 1 6700k bulb, you might ask around and find out if you should use another bulb fore the second spot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Talking about bulbs can cause a endless debate. Some people like 6500K and others 6700K. I have used them and they work every well but I get great results using 9325K. I all so like the pink color in the 9325K bulbs. It brings out the reds in my plant. Others like a more green look you get with 6700K. BUT the best reason to use the 9325K is cost. Check out this site.
http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10browse.asp?search=F55BX/AR/FS

Hawk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts