Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a nice piece of wood at my lfs and I put it in my tank, promptly it turned my water tea colored, so I removed the wood and I'm wondering if there is a way to leach out all the tannins, boiling maybe?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a nice piece of wood at my lfs and I put it in my tank, promptly it turned my water tea colored, so I removed the wood and I'm wondering if there is a way to leach out all the tannins, boiling maybe?

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you can boil it go ahead and do so. It won't get out all the tannins, but it will help. Once you put it back into the tank it will continue to leach, just at a slower rate. After several weeks to a few months it should stop altogether.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I too found boiling to work really well. Most of my wood won't fit into the pot, so there is a lot of twisting and readjusting... not to mention rotating it every 30-60 min. I'll let it boil for about 4 hours. After that almost all of the tannins seem to be leached out as there is no obvious water discoloration.
The odd time that it does discolor, I just use an activated carbon filter and by morming it's all gone.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you have a chance (or should I say, the patience), I'd recommend letting some of it (even a portion of it) sit in some tap water for a few days and monitor the KH/GH levels for a couple of days. I purchased some nice looking pieces from an on-line store. It was 3-6 months later that I found the driftwood was actually "eating" both my KH and GH (see an earlier thread). It doesn't seem like too many others have experienced this, but something to consider.

Brian.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, I started boiling the wood. I was supprised by the amount of tannins that came from this blond piece of wood, the water looked like maple syrup.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I generally find that rinsing in hot water and scrubbing with a stiff bristled brush eliminates tannin problems for me. I've never had to boil wood, but I hear that works, too...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hello this is Jeff guest adding to discussion!
I have a piece of twisted wood that I've had now for many years, hoping to put in my aquarium. It's a great piece with crevices and holes to put some moss in. I found out it is a twisted branch from a grape vine tree. Does anyone know if this would work? Is it too pourous or toxic. Seems like it will always give off tannins. I am boiling it now and there is a lot. Might have to boil it a couple times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts