Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've had my 72g bowfront running for about a year and a half now and I've managed to avoid any real algae problems. The biggest issue I'm having is the algae that grows on the glass. I bought this scouring pad on a stick and it's quite difficult to get off....I could live with that, but it grows back within the week. Here's my setup:

72g bowfront
3/4 eco complete
1/4 pool filter sand (split setup)
Lots of narrow leaf java fern and a some patches of moss sprinkled about.
No ferts (except once in a blue moon, when I feel bad for the plants)
No CO2
130w of Coralife light (I believe 6000k)
Rena Filstar xp3

I feed the fish about once every 3-4 days. I also have a bunch of Amano shrimp in the tank.

What is the easiest and longest lasting solution to get rid of the algae.

Help me out please.

Tanks a lot! (cheesy, I know)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Moss and java grow very slowly and don't use very much fertilizer. My experience with algae is that it won't grow if the fertilizers are not available (with an 8hr light period). Your water may have some ferts in it like phosphate (like mine) plus the fish plus the fish food may mean that there are some excessive ferts still in the tank despite your lack of fertilizing. Irregular fertilizing schedule may also play a role. If you want to limit the algae growth try adding fast-growing plants or maybe a sump with plants in it. I've used a hang-on filter box "sump" filled with some soil and planted with peace lilies to "eat" up excess algae in an expiramental "plantless" tank. It worked rather well until the peace lily outgrew the box and slowed down it growth... anyway you could also add a UV filter but they run about $50-80. My petsmart has one that hangs inside of the tank that was pretty cool... I hope this rambling reply can help you, or at least get someone else to reply...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can live with the expense of the UV filter if it means I dont have to break my back scraping the glass, but I dont want to take on the extra expense if it wont work...

anyway you could also add a UV filter but they run about $50-80. My petsmart has one that hangs inside of the tank that was pretty cool... I hope this rambling reply can help you, or at least get someone else to reply...

·
Registered
155 Posts
UV filter works great if you can get the algae and pathogen into the uv filter itself. It serves two main purposes prevent spread of diseases and keeps the water clean. It would not remove algae on the glass but it will help reduce it in that any algae spores in the water will be killed also when you do clean the glass, the algae becomes free floating and thus will go into the uv filter and get killed. There is lots of benefit to having uv filter if you don't mind the expense.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Since you said it was difficult to get off with the pad, I'm assuming you have green spot algae. If that were the case, you could purchase a couple of zebra nerites which eat the algae.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've read that increasing phosphates keeps GSA at bay, but I would assume that is part of an overall fertilization routine. I don't know if I would try it without the rest of the ferts. Maybe someone else with experience could comment.
For manual removal, one of these will make your life much easier.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip on the MAGFLOAT....I already own the large one. It does ok, but still doesnt remove it all. I'll start looking into a UV filter. I already have a Hydor in line heater, is it ok to put the uv spliced into the outflow? or what should I do?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the MAGFLOAT....I already own the large one. It does ok, but still doesnt remove it all. I'll start looking into a UV filter. I already have a Hydor in line heater, is it ok to put the uv spliced into the outflow? or what should I do?
I would make sure the UV sterilizer will actually eliminate the algae you're dealing with- Green Spot Algae. I've heard it works well with green water and Green Dust Algae, but these are both free-swimming algae, which can be addressed through in-line UV sterilization. Maybe do some searches on here for Green Spot Algae, or GSA and see what has worked for others. Good luck, let us know what you find.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow and maybe someone can help me figure out exactly what I'm dealing with....I just might go with the UV anyway.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have a 72 bowfront also with a UV. I had terrible green dust algae on the glass for months until I did one simple thing- I cut back the lighting by one hour. The GDA is 99% GONE! And it happened virtually overnight. Give it a try.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
It's an easy thing to try! Honestly I was shocked that it made such a difference! Go for it & let me know if it worked for you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I fought this problem for a couple years. I did not have a planted tank at the time. I got rid of mine by removing phosphates from my water. In fact I had 2 tanks that started getting GSA at the same time..My source of phosphate was in our city water supply..Hope this helps because GSA sucks and is a pain in the ass to get off tank..I was using a straight edge razor every three weeks...Good Luck

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
heck I was using a metal Proscraper like DAILY until I cut back one hour on the lighting...then it quit like magic (knock wood, it's been a few weeks now)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I just did a water change, recharged my purigen, changed out my filter pads in my xp3 and cut my light cycle by one hour.....I'll repost on Monday with a progress report.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I learned one thing.....I cant do math !!! I wanted to change the photo period two ways....1) shorten it, 2) make it later, so that I could still enjoy it. So when I shifted the hours, I miscalculated and didnt actually shorten the period. So, I fixed it last night. Let's see what happens in a few days. I'll give it till Wednesday or Thursday before I really expect to see any changes. Stay tuned !

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well, Wednesday came and passed, Thursday...ate some turkey, watched some football, Friday....took the day off and went fishin (too cold, seasons officially over for me), and when I woke this morning...NO CHANGE. The shorter photoperiod does not seem to be workin for me. I'll give it till next Wendesday and if I cant see any real difference, I'll have to give another option a shot...I'll repost with the results...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts