Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my first planted tank and while doing some research I noticed nobody uses regular goldfish for their tanks. I know they don't do groups, but they sure make great contrast with the plants. What am I missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
As my beloved best fish-keeper friend told me: "They will make a salad of your planted tank".

At the LFS I worked at, we'd give our goldfish some algae strips each week. We also left some edible plants floating in their tank for 'midnight snacks'. Keeps 'em regular! ;)

You're welcome to try, as I have heard a few scattered reports of success, but... I wouldn't experiment with many expensive plants! :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Regular gold fish... Do you mean the ones they sell as feeders?

I have seen very gorgeous planted tanks with a single fancy goldfish in there before. The fat ones with really nice tail fins.
I'm usually not even a big fan of goldfishes, but that one really stood out :)
In any case, if you meant all goldfishes in general, then I believe it IS possible to keep them with plants they won't eat.
I believe Java Ferns taste bad and things that normally eat plants tend to ignore java ferns. Maybe you can use those in a goldfish tank.

·
r'bow lover
1,658 Posts
whatever you do, dont do orandas. im keeping some for someone- or was keeping them- they all died. the lionheads and butterfly tails are fine. goldfish= anger IME.

ive seen fancies kept in anubias dominated tanks before. IMO the fish are more trouble than they are worth, but im a lazy fishkeeper usually :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Long-finned rosy barbs are a good goldfish stand-in... same look, less destructive, less dirty, and they handle heat better.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I keep a single large Ryukin in my 90 gallon. He's up to 8" tip to tip and doesn't affect the plants that much. But then I don't 'do aquascape' and I'm keeping easy stuff, so I wouldn't care much what he does to the plants.

Here's an older picture, he's bigger now:

I will never keep anything BUT goldfish from now on. Great personality (for a fish) friendly, will eat out of your hand, lets the kids mess with him...almost like a real pet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts