Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two high light co2 injected tanks running for well over a year now and I'm still having problems apparently. Seems I'm still getting signs of a deficiency from somewhere. It's been showing up in ludwigia glandulosa forever but a few recent additions (ammannia gracilis and Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf') are showing signs also.

Tank stats are as follows

1st is a heavily planted 40gal with 110w cf (8000k bulbs replaced 4/08 ) and 36w t-5 (6700k 8 month old bulbs)
Co2 @ 30ppm as per drop checker using 4dh water. Diffused through a powerhead with the outflow going backwards through a gravel vac.
dosing is 1/4 tsp kno3, 1/16 tsp kh2po4, and 1/16 tsp k2so4 sun/tue/thur. 1/16 tsp csm+b mon/wed/fri. 50% water change weekly. Water is med hard and has a standing ph of 7.6

2nd is a heavily planted 29gal w/110 CF (8000k bulbs replaced 4/08 )
everything else the same as 40 except co2 diffused through a glass diffuser with the outflow under a powerhead. Also kno3 dose is 1/8 tsp.

I was thinking maybe the problem is in my lighting/co2 schedule. Co2 comes on at 11am and shuts off at 8pm. Lights come on at 12pm and off at 10pm. I adjusted co2 to come on at 10pm today thinking maybe the levels aren't high enough when the lights come on.

Maybe something is bottoming out before I reset with the water change? I'm just at a loss.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
It looks to me like you are dosing about half the dosages recommended for the EI method you are using. I was dosing 1/2 tsp KNO3, etc. on my 45 gallon tank, when I followed the EI schedule, and 1/4 tsp KNO3, etc. for the 29 gallon tank I had. Is this intentional?

·
Registered
534 Posts
I had a similar problem, doing every thing right and still bad algae. This may sound strange but i fixed it with a 6 hour photo period. This was suggested to me by my local aquarium club members. I was sceptical at first but after a few weeks I was convinced. I know that in the tropics there is more light but this theory just does not seem to pan out. Try the short photo period, you will be surprised.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks to me like you are dosing about half the dosages recommended for the EI method you are using. I was dosing 1/2 tsp KNO3, etc. on my 45 gallon tank, when I followed the EI schedule, and 1/4 tsp KNO3, etc. for the 29 gallon tank I had. Is this intentional?
I was dosing the 40g using the 40-60gal schedule which is 1/2tsp kno3 for about the first 6 months. I still had the problem though. I figured I was just wasting ferts. I'm using a smaller dose in the 29g to try and bring out good color in H. polysperma "sunset".

I don't have an algae problem really. Just the occasional green spot algae on the glass. I'm willing to try a reduced photo period.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Maybe a few pics will help.

sorry for the blurry pic but here is Pogostemon stellatus 'Broad Leaf'. Notice the new smaller distorted growth.

Here is what I believe to be ammannia gracilis. Notice the curled leaves. This plant was doing fine for a while.

Here is l. glandulosa. I've had this plant for at least 2 years and it has always curled on me. I thought once I got pressurized co2 it would clear up but it made no difference.

The rest of the plants are doing good in both tanks. Just those few are giving me pains. Here is the 40gal.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Looking at those photos, I think what is missing is a proper appreciation for just how beautiful your tank is looking! If mine looked that good I would be reluctant to make any changes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the complement!

But it just bugs me to no end to have a unhappy plant in the tank. Guess it boils down to stubborness on my part. I refuse to admit there are plants I can't grow :frusty: [smilie=l: .

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I agree with Hoppy. You're tanks look great. I would pull the L. Glandulosa and get some R. Macrandra if it's reds your're after. My parameters are like yours and I too had problems with L. Glandulosa so I added a little epson salts at Sundays water change and it did better but I ended up getting rid of it. My water parameters are 80ppm KH, 120 ppm GH and it's mostly Ca with little to no Mg. I dose Equilibrium at every water change. Along with EI.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Again thanks guys, I really appreciate the complements!

I started dosing per the 40-60gal schedule in the 40 and increased the 29gal kno3 dose to 1/4tsp. I may also reduce the lighting period to 9 hours if I see no change after fert increases.

I just noticed this morning that my drop checkers are still green even after the co2 has shut off 8 hours ago. Could the problem be that the plants aren't getting enough o2 during lights off? I've seen it recommended that o2 is to be increased during this time via a airstone, etc. I know that high co2 levels don't mean low o2 levels though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts