Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Heh, that could be anything, really...there's no sure way to even say that it's L. repens.

IMO, the possibilities include:

Ludwigia repens
L. palustris
L. repens x L. palustris (the likeliest, I think)
L. repens 'Rubin'

Where did you get it?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Cavan Allen said:
It's definitely not palustris. It's more likely repens or the palustris/repens hybrid.
I don't think there's any way to say that for certain; several forms of plants I flowered over the summer that greatly resembled the classic L. repens turned out to be L. palustris. The species are very similar in everything but the flowers and I don't think there's much of a chance to get a positive ID from the vegetative characteristics.

Nate, if you want to donate a stem I can flower it this summer and see what I get ;)

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
You can never be 100% sure, but they aren't so similar that you can't see any vegetative differences. I'd be willing to bet that if you flower that stuff, you'll get some petals.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

As you may notice from the picture the plant is about grow out of the water. Will that flower soon, or how do I get it to flower?

I have plenty of stems of this mystery and it grows fast. I'd be happy to send out samples.

·
Administrator
7,398 Posts
Just let it grow up out of the water. Flowers will be in pairs at the nodes. If there are any yellow petals, that instantly rules out L. palustris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts