Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am after some suggestions of background colors to suit an amazon-ish themed tank and the name of a safe paint that I can paint inside my overflow box that will not affect fish/plants and water quality.

Regards Darren

·
Registered
45 Posts
Black is always good for amazon/natural type aquariums.
Theres a paint called krylon that i heard ppl use for painting tanks.

Black bg really brings out the colors of the plants!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have been using black, cheap , spraypaint on the outside back of tanks for decades. Do not allow paint to get on the inside of the aquarium.

I do not know why you want to paint the inside of your overflow but my advice is...do not do it. Any paint on the inside will eventually come off and or cause chemistry problems in the water. That being said I have heard that some marine paints, after they dry, seem to work best. But as always... discretion is the better part of valor.

Once the back glass, and various pipes and hoses, get covered with Algae the color will not matter anyway.

·
Banned
732 Posts
danger!

There is no paint that is safe for any place that is in contact with your tank's water!

When you say that you want to paint the inside of your overflow box that sounds like a red flag.

All paints contain various amounts of possibly harmful chemicals. Even if there aren't any, ordinary paints are not designed for underwater use. The ones that are, have really toxic things in them to prevent growth on the surface.

OK if you are painting the outside of your tank (no contact with water) almost any paint suitable for inside your home will be OK.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I always used cheap black spray paint outisde of the tank. But I like white as well, however amaozon tanks would suit better with black IMO.

Can the spray paints come off with thinner, lets say you deceded to change the bg color?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Any paint that sticks is OK. Just do not get it inside the tank. Regular liquid paint that goes on with a brush is OK to. One can of cheap spray paint seems easiest to me as there is no cleanup afterward just gather up the newspaper and tape as soon as the paint is dry.

If there is a need to remove the paint a razor blade pops it off neatly and quickly and along with some vacuming and sweeping the job is done.

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
People have been enthusiastic about Krylon "Fusion" (as I recall) for painting things that will be in the tank. I haven't used it, so I have no experience with it. Perhaps one of the enthusiasts will respond?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Krylon Fusion can be used inside a tank and has with no problems. It actually bonds to plastic becoming a part of it so if you use it on plastic no scraping it off.

Spray 2+ coats let dry for at least 24 hours you should have no problems... I have it on many things on the inside of quite a few of my tanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Krylon Fusion is what all the reefkeepers use. I have used it to paint the back of one aquarium and it came out quite nicely. I plan on painting the back of what will become my first planted tank in a few weeks.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I do love to state the obvious... so to those people who said there were no "safe" paints to be used, I must say there are thousands of aquarium-safe products that are painted. I've had a fake rock in and out of tanks for over twenty years and there is no problem with its paint... just had to put that in there.

·
Banned
732 Posts
Krylon Fusion is what all the reefkeepers use. I have used it to paint the back of one aquarium and it came out quite nicely. I plan on painting the back of what will become my first planted tank in a few weeks.
I don't think this is such a good idea!

I wrote to the Krylon people about this problem as follows:

Is there any product that you recommend for inside an aquarium?
The tank is empty and dry and I'd like to paint part of the inside. After the paint has dried I'd fill it with water, fish and plants.

Do you have suggestions for glass and polyacrylic aquarium?

Their response:

Thank you for your inquiry with the Krylon website. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

We have no products in the Krylon line that are for immersion. and definitely nothing that we can recommend for the inside (or outside, for that matter) of an aquarium. Off the top of my head, I can't say I know of a product that I can suggest for this purpose, even outside of our line. You might see if a local store that sells aquarium supplies has some leads for you.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please reply with complete message history and my name in the subject line, and I will respond as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Their response:

Thank you for your inquiry with the Krylon website. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us.

We have no products in the Krylon line that are for immersion. and definitely nothing that we can recommend for the inside (or outside, for that matter) of an aquarium. Off the top of my head, I can't say I know of a product that I can suggest for this purpose, even outside of our line. You might see if a local store that sells aquarium supplies has some leads for you.

Thank you again for your inquiry. If you have any other questions, please reply with complete message history and my name in the subject line, and I will respond as quickly as possible.
That is the standard canned response I have gotten from several companies that we use their products in aquariums on a regular basis. When company doesn't test it's product in a certain enviroment they do not want to tell you it is okay for fear of a Lawsuit.. I have used it for over 2 years and I know reefers used it long before that.

No losses that I can point to the Krylon as causing... As a matter of fact all my losses have been to my own stupidity.....:D

·
Registered
80 Posts
The people employed to respond to customer emails are usually worth exactly what they get paid... in rupees...

Krylon is fish tank safe. Reefkeepers even use it to paint plumbing in the tank so white PVC doesn't stand out. It's certainly safe for the background of the tank.

·
Banned
732 Posts
When company doesn't test it's product in a certain enviroment they do not want to tell you it is okay for fear of a Lawsuit.. I have used it for over 2 years and I know reefers used it long before that.
:D
Does that mean you've do the testing and are accepting responsibility for any losses?

My experience in the chemical industry is that if a product has a particular market niche companies jump on it because it is a growth market. My experience with paints is that they contain lots of stuff in them like heavy metal dryers that you really don't want leaching out in your tank. These are in low level quantities; so, they are not required to be listed on MSDS information.

But then who am I to judge. You can follow the advice of the manufacturer or you can throw away the directions and do your own experiment. You obviously can do what you want.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts