Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hy everybody i´m new at APC. Im from URUGUAY so I will have lot of mistakes at writing in English, sorry:(
Can somebody tell me what compounds can be mixed in order to make one solution and facilitate the fertilization?
I have already the solutions prepared, I use:

-K2SO4 (50g in 500ml of water)
-KH2PO4 (16g in 500 ml of water)
-KNO3 (100g in 500 ml of water)
-CSM+B (12,5g in 600 ml of water)

11ppm NO3, 11ppm K, 1ppm PO4 and 0,12ppm Fe are my "levels of fertilization"

Is it clear?

Thanks everybody

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Hi IMartinez,

You can mix the first three together, but the trace elements (CSM+B) needs to be dosed separately. Welcome to APC!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hy seattle_aquarist, thank you for your time.
Of the compounds, i don´t add the same quantities:

K2SO4 I add 1ml each day
KNO3 I add 1ml each day
KH2PO4 I add 0.5 ml per day

Does it affect the final solution? Do I have to add equal parts of the compounds to make the final solution? :confused:

BYE:D

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi imartinez,

if you're following the PPS method, for a 500ml solution, you're numbers don't add up. you would combine these items into the 500ml container, with distilled water, with the following amounts in two separate containers, if you're following the PPS method:

solution #1:
k2so4: 29g
kno3: 33g
kh2po4: 3g
mgso4: 20g

solution #2:
trace elements: 40g

each day you would add 1ml/10 gallons of each solution into your tank. hopefully this clears things up for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hy freydo!
Are you saying that with what I am adding , I dont get concentrations of 11ppm NO3, 11ppm K and 0.5ppm PO4? But I calculate it with fertilator! (Maybe I understood wrong!, my english is quite bad!)
So I can´t mixed it because I have solutions prepared separately? :(

·
Registered
697 Posts
hi imartinez,

sorry for my confusion, it's not your english, it's my understanding the method of fertilizing yo're following. the fertilator is used mainly if you plan on following the EI method, where every other day you would add in (in dry format) the amounts of each item to achieve the preferred ppm. however this method requires a water change each week to "reset" your tank. on the days you do not add fertilizers to your tank, you would add your trace elements to your tank.

it is a good method of fertilizing your plants, and lots of people love it. however IMO it requires too much work.

the other method, PPS Pro, requires you to mix in the amounts that i had listed in my previous post, into a container. everyday at least an hour before your lights come one, you would add 1ml/10 gallons of each solution to your tank.

the PPS Pro method does not require water changes, as the daily amounts of fertilizers are not quite as high as the EI method. but this does not mean you never have to do water changes though.

hopefully this explains things better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I rhink I understood thanks!
So I´m following the "EI method", but with the difference that I don´t add dry compounds, I add it in different solutions each compound.

Do you think I can mix it? Or should I add the quantity need of each solution for ever?:(

·
Registered
697 Posts
i think it's fine if you want to add the items into your tank diluted in water, but i don't think you need or can premix the solution together. to get the proper amounts needed to reach the proper ppm amounts, your solution would need to contain alot of each item.

personally, i think you should look at the PPS Pro method. it would be a lot easier, and you can mix the items together in one container. but this is just my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts