Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on well water, so I don't need declor/decloramines; but, hearing stories of shrimp deaths (probably from the formaldehyde in some formulas), I would like to hear what brands have been safely used -- how large the water changes each time. This would mean safely with no strange shrimp deaths.

Which brands have you used safely with shrimp to decloraminate your water?
Thanks! :)

Reactions: JanS

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
I use Aqua Plus by Nutrafin... I do anywhere from 25%-50% water changes weekly to bi-weekly.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Seachem Prime with water changes of 20%, 50%, 85%..... in other words a very wide range. NYC water is treated with chlorine and chloramine.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks! I wonder what those products are made out of -- does it say? (my guess is that it doesn't?).

Trenac you are on city water? I guess I somehow assumed you were on a well like me.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I'm on well water too, but I've also heard very good reports on Prime from some very reputable people.

Turtlehead, you might want to look at another dechlorinator since Stress Coat adds other things that aren't necessary, and can actually be not as good for fish and inverts.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I also use stress coat, and I have been using it ever since I kept my first aquarium fish 15 years ago. I've used it on all sorts of gouramis, otos, angelfish, cichlids, discus, shrimp (bee, amano, cherry, rudolph-nosed), tetras, pencilfish, hatchetfish, guppies, mollies, swordtails, corydoras... the works. I tried Seachem Prime once and switched back within a month.

I have never had a problem. It is my favorite of all the dechlorinators. My 7 year old silver angelfish would say "use it without fear."

It's good stuff.

Carlos

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
PG... I'm on city water... You are right the bottle does not list the ingredients.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is stress coat a declor only or decloraminator too?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
PG... The label says that it removes chlorine and neutralizes chloramines.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Isn't that confusing, Trenac? "Neutralize" "Remove" which they'd all be more specific :( Can it be un-neutralized?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
PG, I agree...Confusing :-s

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
When they say 'Neutralize' they mean it reduces the harmful effects of the compund by breaking it's bond to render it harmless. 'Remove' is probably when it dissipates out of the water, like Cl.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts