Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5g a 10g and a 20g. On the 5 g I am using a Top fin heater. not sure which one, but it doesn't have numbers on the adjustment knob, and I know it's fairly old, but it works. It's just finicky. If you move the knob much more than just a little bit, the temp will change by at least 5 degrees. On the 10g I am using a Hydor Theo rated at 100 watts. If I have it set at 71 degrees, it will keep the tank at about 76*. On the 20g I have a Rena Cal Top Light excel heater rated at 100 W also. I keep it at 67* and the water temp is 78*. WTF? Am I just not adjusting them properly? I put them in the tank for about 20 minutes unplugged then had the knob set to the temp I wanted and plugged them in. Is this procedure wrong? Should I try to return these for replacements? I've had the rena cal a while now though, and doubt that foster and smith would take it back. The top fin I'm satisfied with, since it doesnt show numbers that should make it accurate for any reason.

TIA for any and all help/suggestions!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi Chris.,

I use the Marineland Visitherm Deluxe heaters, sized at 5 watts per gallon. I like them because they are are accurate, submersible, and have an automatic shutoff as well as shatterproof glass. I had a tank lose it's bottom seal and drain itself completely overnight, the heater was "dry" the next morning. After dealing with the emergency, I tested the heater figuring it was shot, it worked like new. BTW Marineland has excellent customer service.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I have hated all of the heaters I have owned untill I purchased my Hydor ETH. It is accurate, efficient and does not clutter the tank.

Just call the Drs they have very good customer service.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats the inline heater right? I need to get myself an eheim 2213 so I can run one of those. All I have are HOB filters right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts