Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
bms said:
Thanks art,

I will try the Magnesium and Calcium... I added 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda to my 20 gall tank yesterday and my KH is still the same. i will try adding more Baking Soda today.

I also added KNO3 and KH2PO4 my NO3 is now 5, and my PO4 is .25, I am getting there.
Have you made sure you KH test kit is reading properly? 1/2 TSP of baking soda in a 20 gal should indeed raise the KH. 15ml of Baking Soda in my 55g raises the kh by a few degrees. I would test that kit for accuracy before adding more baking soda to your tank. Try adding some baking soda to a gallon of water in a bucket and see if you can bring up your KH on that test kit that way. If it doesn't register I would look at the test kit. Of course if you have already determined that the test kit is valid, then there is something fishy why the baking soda didn't raise your KH.

Matt

· Registered
204 Posts
Jay Luto said:
Matt,

This is a blank statement. How much NaHCO3 do you have in your 15ml ???.

"Rule of Thumb" --> 1 teaspoon of NaHCO3 in 100 liters will raise your KH by 1º
I guess I should of said that was dry dosing 15ml of NaHC03. Usually raises my overall total of my aquarium by a few degrees (2-3). I was just stating that the ammount he added should have atleast registered on his testing kit.

Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.