Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Liquid Plant Fluid Terrestrial plant

Hi, can someone please tell me what are those spots on my water lily pad and the solution is?

It's a juvenile tropical water lily (less than 2 months old and not flowing nor having a fully developed pads yet). I'm growing the lily in a pot, inside a bucket with full direct sunlight, almost a whole day. I live in Singapore where the weather can get quite hot in the afternoon, but it's been cloudy with small to heavy rain this past few days.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
It could be the heat. A little bucket in full tropical sun is too much. measure the water temperature, if it’s more than 100f or 38c then its way too hot. Put the bucket in the shade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What is that mean?
It basically means you probably have to fertilizer the water. Plants need water soluble nutrients to grow. Soil doesn't always have soluble nutrients in it. The only other source of nutrients you plants need is your water. But much of your water is from Rain or manufactured from sea water using a RO filter.
So your water is very soft few to zero nutrients in it.

If the plant is short on nutrients it won't grow or will grow very slowly and will slowly die. and the leaves can look like those in your photo. If you fertilize the water the new leaves should look better than the old damaged ones (old leaves don't heal. Many fertilizers don't have calcium but if you use a small amount of a product known as a GH booster that should supply sufficient calcium.

Other than water light and CO2 plant need nitrogen, potassium, calcium, Magneisum, Phosphorous, Sulfur, Chlorine, Iron Manganese, boron, Zinc, copper, Molybdenum, and nickel. If just one is missing the plant dies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@mistergreen I'll check the temp today. Usually when I top up the water, I do notice the water feels warm.

@Steven F Interesting to know. I read that mature w. Lily will do better with fertilizer tab about once a month, put in the soil. I never knew the water can use some fertz also.

I think I'm going to fertz them sometime this week, hopefully it already fully mature that time. I bought it from a tuber.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts