Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I notice Aquabid.com is down again this morning. Yesterday it seemed a little unstable as well in the morning. Mark seems to post on www.fishforums.com information about outages. But www.fishforums.com is also down. Do they share the same server?

It's always the same (in recent times), come a few interesting auctions by sellers including bobo31 and kangshiang with some seductive plant species and Aquabid.com goes on the blink. Now is that fate saving me from collectoritis? ;-) Or is it simply a darn nuisance. Who is it that's trying to save me from buying some Rotala sp. Vietnam?

Given the number of hits per month etc, I am surprised that Aquabid.com cannot solve the problems of hardware and software. It must surely irk the sellers who do a high rate of business on that auction system.

I also noticed that Aquabanners.com was down when I was surfing Gregwatson.com. Maybe all on the same system.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
925 Posts
Yes they are all on the same server. I believe you may find some answers on aquachat as its on a seperate system. Mark runs that one also.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
It appears to be down for me, at least. I just tried it.
PHP:
It sounds like all the more reason to foster the growth of the classifieds section here at APC
I'll second that!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was back up for a little while and it down again and marked "down for maintenance".

Yes, I hope to see more reasonably short auctions on APC. 6+ day auctions are things I simply would not bid on - far too long. Sellers take note. Reasonable auctions are 2-6 days, IMO.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Oh grumble... If they lost our feedback, chances are I won't be back much.
I haven't been going much since they've been back up anyway because of the annoying, flashing "shoot the clown" and "stomp the bug" ads. [-(

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
The Classifieds are new to a lot of people so it will take a little while to get used to the format. There are many options available and it will take a little bit to find the best format. I'll try and run through the options and post a little bit on each so people have a better understanding of what is available. We would like to build the classifieds area to something you will want to turn to when looking for plants and other goods. It is only through your feedback that we can male the classifieds an area you want to explore.

Thanks for your support,

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The current format seems also to show closed auctions (such as those for the AquaJournals recently sold). I wonder if the items that have been sold/closed/ended can be relegated to the bottom of the page?

I'd also like to see a horizontal line-by-line presentation rather than a side-by-side one.

Also, would it be possible to have an overt link on the dark blue band above <My APC FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out> for auctions/classified?

Thanks for the work.

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
That would be very helpful if you could put something like that together Gnaster. I'm not entirely sure of all the options right now, so it would be nice to have a little guideline.

Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Forum sales are the best, I hate aquabid, who wants to wait a week before you even know? eh, if you have plants to sell, name your price, if I want it, I buy it:)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sort of agree with Craig on that point. Sellers should know a price and state it. Maybe for some sort of rare cichlid it is worth having a 6 day auction. But for a bunch of plants? It seems hardly worth it even for $15 or $20. Just name the price and have a buy it now method. Waiting 6 days for an auction to end, then days for mailing makes it difficult.

Andrew Cribb

·
Premium Member
3,966 Posts
You don't need to set up an auction in our Classifieds section. It is an option. You can do a straight sale transaction as well. You can even post For Trade or Want To Buy transactions.

The good thing about going through the Classifieds system is that you can rate the buyer or seller. Over time, this will work as a safety feature for all of us.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My last comments above were really pointed at sellers rather than the designers. I should be more respectful, especially as it was Art who had those long running AquaJournal auctions. :)

I think my most persistent point would be to have an overt link to Classified on the blue bar above. I need an instant link to it - like the one for New Posts. The New Posts link is the most important on the board for me (at present).

Andrew Cribb

·
Registered
278 Posts
Personally, until our beloved Plantfinder comes back, it'd be nice if the people selling plants included some basic info about the plant. I see so many intresting plants in the classifieds but have no clue on it's requirements and have a devil of a time finding anything on half of them, so I end up not bidding.
But that's just me =)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts