Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the reason why my glossos are not growing and spreading is because I planted the runners improperly. Am I right or wrong? If i'm right, how should I plant the runners. Can the whole stalk be covered by the substrate leaving just the leaves or is it only the roots that can be covered by the substrate? Here's a few pictures of how I planted the runners.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I plant glosso I cut the runners up into individual plants and then plant each little plant. It can be a lot of work but I believe it will give you the best results and the quickest coverage.

HTH,
Robert (bobo31)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I agree with Robert. I use the same method, and it always results in quick coverage. However, it does take patience to cut the runners into individual pieces and plant them one by one. A good pair of long tweezers is very helpful in this process.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It looks like you've done it the right way if horizontal growth is your goal. It will take about a week before you really start to see any noticeable spread.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I agree with travis. Looks good to me. IMO, the best way to do it is to take 2-3 inch long runners and plant them horizontally across the substrate in parallels.

Take the tweezer and insert one end of the runner into the substrate. Then, grab ahold of the other end with the tweezer and run it deeply and horizontally across the substrate. Only the tips of the leaves should be showing --it's a tough plant that can take this kind of abuse.

You may have to do this process frequently, as the runners tend to grow very rapidly and pile up and over themselves in no time as shown in this old photo of mine:

Carlos

·
Registered
459 Posts
And one tip that might help: try to find some pointed tip tweezers rather than flat or slant tip tweezers. IME I've found that these do the best job of leaving the roots in the substrate where you want them, rather than pulling anything back up with them when you release it. Good for the fine finish work anyway :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like to plant these individually in a checkorboard pattern

0= blank space
x= plant

XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
OXOXOXOXOXOXOX
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
OXOXOXOXOXOXOX

This helps the plants grow quicker and fill in the gaps

When they grow out make sure you cut the runners for even more growth

·
Registered
190 Posts
Whats the proper way of dealing with plant growth so vigorous, the plants grow on top of each other like noted by Carlos? I"ve got dwarf sag for instance growing so much on top of each other I'm having dead necrotic leaves/plants at the bottom. A week ago, I got somewhat aggressive and ripped up 'bunches' of the sag where it was thick and tried to thin it out. Wasnt sure if this is the right way or not to deal w/ this problem.

Chris

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
When I see growth that piles on each other to the point where the lower plants suffer for me it's time to pull the entire mass, cull to find the best ones and replant them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
lamthuyduong said:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the reason why my glossos are not growing and spreading is because I planted the runners improperly.
I doubt that planting the glosso improperly is the reason for poor growth. IME, poor light and/or lack of macronutrients have been responsible for the plant's poor growth and failure to creep along the substrate. Nonetheless, here is nice pictorial guide to planting Glossostigma elatinoides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts