Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Re: What's this stuff on my Java Fern.

Those are roots with root hairs. A little plantlet is going to develop on the end of the leaf. Is that a wild rice seedling behind the Java Fern leaf?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sure is. Got it from Steve. I am hoping it does well :) Thanks for the info. I couldnt figure out what the heck it was!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yep i second that its just a little plantlet forming off your old java fern leaf. I guess its happy right ? :D

.dc

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sir, you'll soon find out that plant reproduces like bunnies. :lol: When new leaves grow, you can gently separate them by the roots and attach them to a piece of wood or rock.
It's very prolific. In my tank it breeds like a maniac.

Regards.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Wild Rice

Yes I gave Kevin a wild rice shoot. I went through a lot of trouble finding a place that would ship me a small amount of wild rice seeds. I presently have them growing in my rice paddy outside ( a cement mixing plastic tub), and about 1/3 of a 125 gallon tank. It is Zizania aquatica.

I am working on the possibility of having an experimental biotope of the San Marcos River, where Cryptocoryne becketti is supposedly threatening the endangered Texas Wild Rice (Zizania texana) with extinction. Obtaining Texas Wild Rice seeds would presently be unlawful and unethical. Through research, I discovered that Z. aquatica and Z. texana are extremely similar. In fact, they were thought to be the same species until 1932. So I am using Z. aquatica as a substitution for Z. texana.

Wild RIce is actually a better aquatic plant than it is emersed.
I've got pictures of the expeditiion at:
http://users.ev1.net/~spituch/Steve's Page/Aquarium/Expedition 1/Expedition 1_01.html
Regards,
Steve

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
To me the growth of tiny new plants on the Java Fern leaves is a sign that the plant has or is being stressed.

If the plant has been left in the same tank, in the same place for some months, and grew in stable conditions it stops producing new plants. The rhizome grows and produces new leaves but new plants don't form on the old leaves.

That is the point where Java Fern starts to look great. This is what I'm talking about:

At that time it will also produce trilobate leaves.

The above is my experience only. Have you noticed the same "behaviour" or you have a different opinion?

--Nikolay

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont have any experience with java fern at all. Its only been in the tank a few weeks at most. I havent touched it since I put it in the tank. I have a piece in the substrate (the one from the photo) and a piece tied to driftwood. I only hope mine can look as good as that picture!

Steve, how is your rice? Growing out of the tank yet??

Kevin

·
Registered
41 Posts
Niko :shock:
Those ferns are amazing! Are they yours? If so, would you be so kind and share your tank's setup, please? Beautiful.
Regards.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plantlets on Java Ferns (Resurrecting an old thread)

Possibly because of the high level of nutrients in this tank, my Java fern started to produce plantlets in about a week after the tank's setup. This tank is about a month old now, and the ammonia and nitrate appear to have settled down. The water is alkaline and hard for the snails in the tank, which are doing fine. Currently, the leaves of the plantlets are about 1/2" long. The main plant has put out a few leaves, but it hasn't had the rapid growth of any of the other plants in the tank. My question is how big do I let the plantlets get before trying to root them to something? Should I leave them on the plant and tie them to drift wood, or should I cut the leaves from the main plant and move them to water that's slightly acid?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts