· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok. The tank:
20 Gallon High
80 watts full spectrum bulbs (12hrs)
Had horrible Green water, now run UV sterilizer for 12hrs/day
Ladder CO2 diffuser with yeast chamber
Regular pruning made this stuff grow faster!

Been adding Seachem ferts on a roughly regular weekly schedule, Excel, Trace, Nitrogen, Iron

I've looked at pictures of staghorn all over and I don't see anything that looks this extensive. There's a weave of this stuff covering the top layer of all my plants! I'm leaning towards silk algae, but tell me why you think staghorn.

BTW when I'm cleaning this stuff off, it does not come off leaves easily.

Thanks Guys! (and ladies)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help yall!

I haven't been adding nitrates directly because there are so many fish. Hard to say how many but at least 25 maybe 30, and 4 amano's and 4 ghosts. BTW even with so many fish my nitrates regulate very close to 0, maybe 1-3ppm but not even close to 10. Phosphates are high in our tap water around here.

As far as a complete fertilizer, is there anything "all in 1" that would be a better option than the stuff i'm using currently? Maybe PMDD does it even retail? Also, with 4wpg should I up the levels of my ferts compared to what's on the bottle? How important is Potassium?

I can see green spot algae on the glass. It's not overwhelming though. Does that tell you anything?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh no, most of that algae has turned red?!?! I'm guessing this implies that it's black brush algae?

I had added quite a bit of excel 1 day before this happened.

I added a new picture to the album above. It should be the last picture in the album.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.