Aquatic Plant Forum banner

441 - 460 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
my biggest regret is not doing the research first. i now have a tank with 2 Pink Kissing Gourami, 3 'Mixed Fruit" Tetras (which are basically White or Black Skirt Tetra) 1 Glo-Tetra (again basically a White or Black Skirt) and a Dwarf Gourami. the dwarf hides ina corner, the tetra chase everyone around, and the kissy ones fight each other and try to fight the tetra. so far no one has died or been injured or had anything serious happen, but my tank is a 5 gallon so im sure it will happen eventually. but its full of color....

·
Registered
17 Posts
These two cichlids I got from a LFS, they were about an inch long each. I sort of knew what I was getting into, but at the same time did not... The blue cichlid (not sure what it was, maybe Electric blue and electric yellow) destroyed the entire tank, uprooted anything AND everything. The yellow one took gravel til the bottom of his cave was barebottom... Ugh.

·
Registered
89 Posts
First tank - 5 gallon and I was a young teen. No clue what I was doing.

I bought 5 Neons and somehow they survived the new tank set up with the little plastic box filter in the corner- anyone remember those? Three weeks later a kid at my lfs let me buy this CUTE little Pimelodus Pictus cat (knowing I had neons). And very pretty little piece of bleached coral.

Of course the Pictus ate the Neons in no time and then died from what I am sure was a ph/dh explosion from the coral.

So then I figured out that some of the 'fish guys' at the lfs had no clue what they were doing (or didn't care) and I spent some library time before buying any more fish. I felt horrible. Heck I still feel horrible.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my biggest regret is not doing the research first. I now have a tank with 2 pink kissing gourami, 3 'mixed fruit" tetras (which are basically white or black skirt tetra) 1 glo-tetra (again basically a white or black skirt) and a dwarf gourami. The dwarf hides ina corner, the tetra chase everyone around, and the kissy ones fight each other and try to fight the tetra. So far no one has died or been injured or had anything serious happen, but my tank is a 5 gallon so im sure it will happen eventually. But its full of color....
LMAO! That is amazing!

·
Registered
89 Posts
A bunch of juvenile Congo Tetras. They grew up to be mostly females with no coloration and bad tempers. Garbage disposal.

TW
Oh no..garbage disposal really? You could have just gotten a male. I love watching him with his three ladies. He has such a great dance! And they are all gentle.

Your ladies were just irate because they weren't getting any love.

ps. I have read just about every page on this thread and gotten a laugh on just about every one of them. Recommending it to all new fish hobbyists that I meet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
my biggest regret is not doing the research first. i now have a tank with 2 Pink Kissing Gourami, 3 'Mixed Fruit" Tetras (which are basically White or Black Skirt Tetra) 1 Glo-Tetra (again basically a White or Black Skirt) and a Dwarf Gourami. the dwarf hides ina corner, the tetra chase everyone around, and the kissy ones fight each other and try to fight the tetra. so far no one has died or been injured or had anything serious happen, but my tank is a 5 gallon so im sure it will happen eventually. but its full of color....
THIS one in particular. By the time I got to "my tank is a 5 gallon so im sure it will happen" I was on the floor:yield:. Someone needs to turn this thread into a book.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My biggest regret was my green scat... Adorable when I first got him... Beautiful as he grew... Moved to town and he was already the size of a large fine dining plate... Gave him to family n I never seen him again :(

Oh and my beta, he's very selfish and spoiled. I wanted to move him to one of my planted tank an he scared da living $h!t out of my other fish.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These two cichlids I got from a LFS, they were about an inch long each. I sort of knew what I was getting into, but at the same time did not... The blue cichlid (not sure what it was, maybe Electric blue and electric yellow) destroyed the entire tank, uprooted anything AND everything. The yellow one took gravel til the bottom of his cave was barebottom... Ugh.
Hahaha. That's what my convicts did! Multiplied too fast too..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I regret the piranha purchased in high school as a novelty. it wore off fast with such a big tank holding only one fish.

I also regret every fish purchased prior to knowledge regarding schooling preference, compatibility, and basic tank maintenance.

Despite knowing so much more (but I realize I'm still mostly a novice yet) I purchased some guppies who i remembered as eating all their young when I had them in high school. I ended up donating 6 guppies and over 50 young of various sizes back to the LFS. No one ever ate ONE and I don't have enough room to be a guppy rancher!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would say platties. I had some and they out bred my tank so I gave a ton away. I went out of country for a couple years and returned. I got 4 back from the person I gave them too because her tank was overpopulated. Now my tank again is chalked full of platties.
A previous post mentioned a chinese algae eater as a poor choice. I had a chinese algae eater left over when my parents tended my tank when I was out of country. He seems to be the dominate fish in the tank. The only one with his own territory, (a fake rock structure arch he uses for his home.) even though he is the alpha fish he doesnt cause too much trouble. Kind of interesting to watch him evict all the other fish and shrimp out of his hole. Only problem is it was a boring yellow colored type.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I picked up 6 small 1 1/2" flowerhorns when they were first available. Beautiful and colorful fish which I planned to keep in a 75 gallon tank when they got bigger. Well bigger came only 3 months later and a month after I moved them to the 75 gallon I had at least a thousand Flowerhorns. They did a good job protecting there young even with 6 of them in the same tank. It would be half bad but out of all the juvenals none displayed the beautiful colors the adults did.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Hm, it looks like soon we will have a complaint about every single fish under the sun. Some of the species that I read about here have behaved completely normal in my tanks even when crowded (I ran an import fish business). So I have the feeling that at least some of the problems are due to the environment the fish are kept in.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
I bought some rainbow fish. They must have been carrying some virus because despite any medications and care, they died off. But not before I spread it via stupidly sharing some tank equipment from my QT tank with some other tanks, and thus killing off a lot of my other fish as well. Lesson learned. Now anything used in, on or even around my QT tank are labeled with a big "QT ONLY" tag to keep me vigilant about fudging it up.

I'm pretty good about researching care of livestock before I get it. Which can be hard when you see something you just need to have at the LFS and can't get a signal and can't rely on staff for correct information. But I haven't ended up with anything outgrowing my tanks.

Oh, some killifish I got. One male was SUPER aggressive and led to another male starving. The only reason the females didn't starve too is because I had them in another tank to condition. I've never read anything about males being so aggressive and wasn't prepared for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not so much a purchase as a mistake. I had a large syndontis catfish for many years. He finally died. Synodontis become rigid after death. I flushed him down the toilet and he got stuck in the bend. After hours of trying I finally had to call a plumber to dislodge the carcass. Cost $75.00. That was eight years ago and my wife still brings up my $75.00 catfish once in a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2 Silver dollars that I bought 11 years ago as part of a community tank. I am into growing plants now and they are like vegetarian piranha! I might as well have put an aquatic lawn mower into my tank.

On the plus side, they are 5" diameter and almost an inch thick and very, very healthy, haven eaten hundereds of dollars of plants over the years while I was looking for varieties that either grow faster than they can eat (Mellon Swords have been keeping up for about 4 months now) or that they don't like - Riccia, duckweed, Java Fern and Hornwort have been pretty unpopular with them.

I would sell/trade them but my wife likes them too much.

441 - 460 of 485 Posts