Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what all of you have out of the tap? What would be considered too high in the Kh/Gh range for out of the tap for plants?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Off topic here, but is there a way to recieve information from the companies to see whats in our tapwater?

back to topic:
kh:11
gh:21 (last time i checked)

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Mine seems to be pretty much a sodium bicarbonate solution. No calcium, no magnesium, no potassium, no nitrate, KH = 9.0, GH = 0. pH out of the tap is 8.5. Upon standing, some CO2 diffuses out, and the pH goes up to 8.6.

Weird! It is like hard water that has been through a water softener.

I don't like it. I collect rain water and use that. I throw some ground limestone in the tank to get some calcium and magnesium in the water and get the GH up to 3 or 4.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
StrungOut said:
Off topic here, but is there a way to recieve information from the companies to see whats in our tapwater?

back to topic:
kh:11
gh:21 (last time i checked)
Sure. They should send you an annual water report. Additionally, what they send you might not include all of the aquarium helpful information. But if you ask them for specific test information, they are usually glad to give it. Took my local water district about 2 days to get me the info.

Side note: I'll post my info later.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
My tap water has a p.H of around 7.4, ever since I added a piece of driftwood it dropped down to 6.8 which is pretty good for rams.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine are
PH - 7.2
GH - 12
KH - 3

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my tap water parameters are similar to strung out's

gh-19
kh-9

is this too high for a planted tank???

·
Registered
704 Posts
turbomkt said:
Sure. They should send you an annual water report. Additionally, what they send you might not include all of the aquarium helpful information. But if you ask them for specific test information, they are usually glad to give it. Took my local water district about 2 days to get me the info.

Side note: I'll post my info later.
Should I check out my dad's bills? or rather is there an online source I can check out?

chiahead said:
my tap water parameters are similar to strung out's

gh-19
kh-9

is this too high for a planted tank???
I don't think plants have a preference, heard as plants needing softwater as a myth. I have HC growing nicely and one downoi growing slowly but both are just fine, I don't think there would be any difference if I had soft water. I can't vouch for other plants though, all I have are echinodorus and mosses. Where do you live by the way?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Strungout,
It's not going to be on the bills but rather in an annual mailer that might come with one of the bills. Some water districts will even provide the info online. Who's your water provider?

--Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
Chiahead,
I live in in Santa Ana, CA.

Mike,
I have found a bill, searched it online and found a 2003 report as I see your post below you have found it too. Thank you, I will be calling them to get a comprehensive report.

thanks for the link Glen
-Dennis

·
Registered
90 Posts
In northern Austin, Texas
Out of the tap:
pH is 9.8 to 10.0
kH is 3 deg, or 50-75ppm depending on test
gH is about 5 deg, or around 100 depending on test​

After 24hrs aeration in a trash can, pH drops to 8 +/- .05, kH and gH hold steady.

These numbers track with the City of Austin's water quality reports, which are available online. You might check your city's website to see if they post their reports, too.

I called the water department, to find out how the heck they had such a high pH with such soft water. Turns out they treat the liquid rock at the plant with calcium oxide to drop the hardness from its 200+ source level (lots of limestone around here). The lower hardness saves pipes.

For our lower-pH fish, I cut the pH (and kH) with muriatic acid, and bring the pH back up to 6.5-ish with tiny additions of baking soda. The kH is still negligible, but with our weekly 30% water changes the pH in the 55 gal only fluctuates about 0.07 between lights-out and lights-on. I'm going to try the Seachem Acid/Alkaline Buffer ratio-based system in the tank to see if I can at least add a bit of buffering to the water while keeping it at 6.5 or so (just to add suspenders to the belt).

Glen

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
is there any web site that has the city water parameters or do I need to contact the water company directly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whether the city publishes it on the net or not is up to the city. Austin has it, but Ft. Worth doesn't. I started at the City of Austin website, and dug from there. Since then, I've Googled "austin water reports" and gotten there that way. As another alternative, you should be able to call the water company and request their latest Drinking Water Quality Report - they should be able to e-mail, fax, or snail-mail it to you. At worst, you may have to go to their office to get it. AFAIK, every water company has to send their results at least to the State (or they do in Texas, anyway) if not to the EPA(?).

HTH
Glen

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
StrungOut said:
Chiahead,
I live in in Santa Ana, CA.

Mike,
Sorry I don't even know.

-Dennis
Dennis,
It looks like the City of Santa Ana Public Works Agency has a Water Resource Division that handles your water. You can download an older water quality report for your city here. You will probably have to contact them to get a current breakdown. Oh yeah...the right web page is here.

--Mike

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
glenhead said:
AFAIK, every water company has to send their results at least to the State (or they do in Texas, anyway) if not to the EPA(?).
glen,
The rule is actually a federal law that all water districts must publish and provide to customers water reports on an annual basis.

State and Federal law mandates that all public water utilities issue a water quality report to their customers every year. The annual water quality report shows specific data on water quality test results for treated and untreated groundwater, imported water and blended water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts