Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

What kind of plants and carpet plants would grow well in a 3 gallons tank with 9w of light?

I will use DIY CO2.
I believe Java moss would grow well as carpet plant since it doesn't demand much light.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah thats what i was thinking.. but what method are you going to be using to get them to carpet?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could attach them on a punch of slim rocks and they will spread as carpet foreground.

How about Echinodorus tenellus and Hemianthus callitrichoides?

I'm also thinking those plants as midground and background:
- Anubias "nana"
- Java Fern
- Hemianthus Micranthoides
- Rotala Indica

What do u guys think?

Yeah thats what i was thinking.. but what method are you going to be using to get them to carpet?

·
Registered
10 Posts
sounds good, i would suggest using mesh and folding it over with the java moss in the middle like a sandwich with only one slice of bread

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can spread the moss in a thin layer over a flat rock or something and put a net over it.

But yeah, you cant go wrong with java fern, moss, and anubias!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any background plants you can suggest me with this setup?

With 9 watts Hemianthus Micranthoides won't grow well?

You can spread the moss in a thin layer over a flat rock or something and put a net over it.

But yeah, you cant go wrong with java fern, moss, and anubias!

·
Registered
8 Posts
In a 3 gallon tank, java fern, anubias, and any rotala are going to be background plants, if they fit. HM probably won't grow well in 3 wpg on a 3g tank. Those little tanks take a lot of light to grow medium - high light plants.

The java moss will look great, though! I have never tried this with moss, just riccia, but a great, cheap net you can use is tule from a craft store. It won't rot, it's extremely cheap, and you can get it in dark green, so you won't even notice it :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of light do you have in your 3 gallon tank? and how many watts?

For now on, I would go with: Java Moss on my driftwoods, Anubias 'nana' or/and Java Fern but their leaves will get taller and larger on 3 gallon tank. Need to get rid of those leaves then.

I'm just thinking if I want HM or Glosso or Dwarf hairgrass to grow, I should add another 9w light fixture.

In a 3 gallon tank, java fern, anubias, and any rotala are going to be background plants, if they fit. HM probably won't grow well in 3 wpg on a 3g tank. Those little tanks take a lot of light to grow medium - high light plants.

The java moss will look great, though! I have never tried this with moss, just riccia, but a great, cheap net you can use is tule from a craft store. It won't rot, it's extremely cheap, and you can get it in dark green, so you won't even notice it :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I would suggest marsilea for your foreground. it does good in lower light and looks just like glosso but with bigger leaves. it looks great in my 5.5. java fern will get way too large, try the needle leaf type if your stuck on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts