Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a RCS tank set up right now but i also want to have another different species that wont interbreed. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The presumption right now in the hobby is that all Neocaridina species interbreed with each other. That means the following are NOT COMPATIBLE:

• Yellow Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda var. yellow)
  • Snowball Shrimp (Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis var. white)
  • Blue Pearl Shrimp (Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis var. blue)
  • Wild Neocaridina sp.
  • Wild Neocaridina zhangjiajiensis
  • Green Neocaridina sp. (goes by various names, usually "Green Shrimp" or "Neon Green Shrimp")

Among the shrimps that would not pose problems from an interbreeding standpoint:

• any of the Bee shrimp family (CRS, Bee, Golden Bee, Bumblebee) (Caridina cantonensis)
  • any of the Tiger shrimp family (Tiger, Super Tiger, Blue Tiger, Red Tiger) (Caridina cantonensis)
  • Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica)
  • Malaya Shrimp
  • Dark Green Shrimp
  • Sri Lankan Dwarf Shrimp (Caridina simoni simoni)
  • Indian Whitebanded Shrimp
  • Red Nose (Rudolph) Shrimp (Caridina gracilirostris)
Which you chose will depend a lot upon your water; if your water is on the alkaline side (which is what RCS prefer), then the ones in the list above most likely to do well are Amano, Malaya, Dark Green, Sri Lankan, Indian Whitebanded, and Red Nose. If your water is on the acidic side (not good for the RCS long-term), then you'd want to choose from the Bee or Tiger shrimp options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was having Dark green shrimp in mind of the next shrimp to keep in the same tank ....hoping that the green and the red will make the tank looks better..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts