Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was wondering what plants you have gotten to or know can flower. Id love to do this, which plants can do so and are easy to do with? any special needs for this?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have flowered Aponogeton madagascariensis repeatedly (and gotten seedlings) as well as A. ulvaceus. Last summer Egeria densa flowered in the tubs I set up outside. Cabomba caroliniana and Anubias barteri var. nana are others that have done so in my tanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Error said:
I have flowered Aponogeton madagascariensis repeatedly (and gotten seedlings) as well as A. ulvaceus. Last summer Egeria densa flowered in the tubs I set up outside. Cabomba caroliniana and Anubias barteri var. nana are others that have done so in my tanks.
wow how did you get the anubias nana to flower? any pics? im assuming it flowered under water correct? pretty sweet stuff..

·
Registered
65 Posts
What plants can flowe?

We keep a number of types of plants in aquariums, mosses, ferns, etc.

By far the largest group of aquatic plants are botanically referred to as flowering plants (angiosperms). So, most aquarium plants WILL flower. The trick is to find out if the individual species will flower while submerged or if it only does so emersed.

James Purchase
Toronto

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jppurchase said:
We keep a number of types of plants in aquariums, mosses, ferns, etc.

By far the largest group of aquatic plants are botanically referred to as flowering plants (angiosperms). So, most aquarium plants WILL flower. The trick is to find out if the individual species will flower while submerged or if it only does so emersed.

James Purchase
Toronto
ahh thats very interesting..i didnt know most all plants will. Id like to get some plants that will flower above the surface..(ermersed?)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JanS said:
Okay, here are a couple of the Crinum flower.
One thing I learned is to let it come out of the tank when it wants. I tried to make it stay in and the light browned a few of the edges.
wow thats sweet!! and this can all be done without co2 injection?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Thanks.
I was going to say it was C02 injected, but that was last winter before I had the pressurized on the tank, so it is possible without it.

As we speak, there is another bud forming on the same plant, but it doesn't look as healthy as the one from last year, so maybe they do better without C02??? :???:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JanS said:
Thanks.
I was going to say it was C02 injected, but that was last winter before I had the pressurized on the tank, so it is possible without it.

As we speak, there is another bud forming on the same plant, but it doesn't look as healthy as the one from last year, so maybe they do better without C02??? :???:
my tank willl is a low light non co2. 80 watts over a 55gallong long. which plants would u recommend for my setup. I was looking at Zosterella dubia,

this pic on tropica.com shows it flowering. Howbout any vallisneria or saggitaria species?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I bought this sword a few weeks ago. It was just floating about in another tank setting this 'infloresce'. When I planted it, it had 2 more budding 'babies' attached to it. Planted them, and they're off like weeds. Not sure exactly what variety of Echinodorus it is, but it does flower. Looks like just 3 sepals developed on these submerged buds, but I didn't look all that carefully.

Not an impressive flower, but... I hear that if they grow up out of the water, the flowers are small and white.

-joe

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jcolletteiii said:
I bought this sword a few weeks ago. It was just floating about in another tank setting this 'infloresce'. When I planted it, it had 2 more budding 'babies' attached to it. Planted them, and they're off like weeds. Not sure exactly what variety of Echinodorus it is, but it does flower. Looks like just 3 sepals developed on these submerged buds, but I didn't look all that carefully.

[IG]http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/gallery/files/1/7/5/2/amazon1_original.jpg[/IMG]

[MG]http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/gallery/files/1/7/5/2/swordflower_original.jpg[/IMG]

Not an impressive flower, but... I hear that if they grow up out of the water, the flowers are small and white.

-joe
tanganyikan tank eh?? :razz:

im keepin a malawi tank myself. Thats a great looking sword you have. what kind of setup do u have?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bavarian3 said:
tanganyikan tank eh?? :razz:

im keepin a malawi tank myself. Thats a great looking sword you have. what kind of setup do u have?
Its a mixxed Tanganyika/Malawi tank. Only 2 from Tanganyika: N. brichardi, and N. Leleupi. Malawi: Pseudotropheus crabro, P. lombardoi, M. chipokae, and a yellow lab. Here's a pic of the Melanochromis chipokae - I think it's groovy looking.

The tank is a 30 tall (29), caves in one corner, piece of driftwood in the other. Plants are (so far) the big swords, a patch of E. tenellus, and Java fern on the drift. There will be quite a bit more when I figure out what I want.

-joe

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jcolletteiii said:
Its a mixxed Tanganyika/Malawi tank. Only 2 from Tanganyika: N. brichardi, and N. Leleupi. Malawi: Pseudotropheus crabro, P. lombardoi, M. chipokae, and a yellow lab. Here's a pic of the Melanochromis chipokae - I think it's groovy looking.

[MG]http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/gallery/files/1/7/5/2/Melanochromischipokae.jpg[/IMG]

The tank is a 30 tall (29), caves in one corner, piece of driftwood in the other. Plants are (so far) the big swords, a patch of E. tenellus, and Java fern on the drift. There will be quite a bit more when I figure out what I want.

-joe
good lookin fish, although im not much a fan of melanochromis and their behavior :neutral:

Are u injecting Co2? how is the tennelus doing? i may try keeping some myself..good to see the fish arent shredding any of the plants either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bavarian3 said:
good lookin fish, although im not much a fan of melanochromis and their behavior :neutral:

Are u injecting Co2? how is the tennelus doing? i may try keeping some myself..good to see the fish arent shredding any of the plants either.
Yeah on the CO2. The tenellus is taking off kinda slowly. Battling algae mostly right now. The fish seem to all be picking it off the leaves of the swords, though. Yeah, melanochromids can be a little pushy, although the Neolamprologus brichardi is currnent king of the tank.

·
Banned
1,623 Posts
I actually have a whole gallery of just plant flowers on my site! I have gotten various stem plants to flower, Moneywort, Heteranthera zosterfolia, Lysimachia, (this one is currently flowering for me for the first time, has a nice little yellow flower), Ludwigia repens... stem plants only flower when the stems grow above the water

1 - 20 of 29 Posts