Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on putting some RCS in my 10 gal and have HOB filter on it. I was wondering to put on the intake part that is the tank as I dont want it to suck up the shrimp thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so you dont put anything like a sponge over that part I thought I saw where people put something over that.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I've seen people use a coarse sponge and tie/wrap it around the intake. Never tried it (don't have shrimp) .

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found some sponges at petco with a hole in them that fit the intake perfect.
Yeah I have been looking at petsmart for something like that but no luck Thanks for the suggestions. Think I may wrap something around like until i get the prefilter thing

·
Registered
49 Posts
I haven't had a problem with my ghost shrimps getting sucked into the filter (150gph). Not sure if this helps or not.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi new2plnts,
I had a problem finding the sponges too when I first started too until someone suggested I Google Shopping for "Sponge Prefilter". The filters are available for different size tubes so it helps to know the diameter of the tubing you need to cover.

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I never really worried about it. They seem to like it in there! In fact, I pulled many from my Eheims that were far to large to have been sucked in through the strainer. I'd just dump them back in the tank when cleaning the filter.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I will try it without for a while and see what happens and if need them get the ones from big als or Drsfosterandsmith. Thanks for all the suggestions

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah I have been looking at petsmart for something like that but no luck Thanks for the suggestions. Think I may wrap something around like until i get the prefilter thing
Look in the turtle section and there is a replacement sponge for the AZOO 501 canister filter that will fit the intake tube of most any filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts