Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie setting up a new 90G planted tank. I want fully automated, inline CO2. What should I buy to set this up?

I am googling and I see plenty of articles on how to set up fully automated CO2 (like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=527) but not much info on how to hide the equipment and make it inline. I definitely want both - fully automated and inline.

I'm also looking for specific brand recommendations because I'm a little overwhelmed at all the choices out there. If you have fully automated, inline CO2 and you're happy with your setup, please let me know exactly what you are using!

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
When I used to use a fully automated CO2 setup, I had:

JBJ all-in-one Regulator - includes the regulator, solenoid, needle valve and bubble counter
Aquamedic Reactor 1000 inline CO2 reactor
PinPoint CO2 controller
CO2 tank - purchased locally from a welding shop. These can be heavy so shipping is high plus they are shipped empty so get it locally if you can.

I think you would be much better off purchasing the individual items versus a "canned" setup like you usually see offered at places like Fosters & Smith. Green Leaf Aquariums has two complete setups that look to be much easier to set up than the one you linked to and they are a sponsor as well ;) GLA also has the individual components if you want to piece something together yourself.

You may be able to find cheaper prices by purchasing the individual items from different vendors but several different shipping charges may end up costing you more in the long run.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I should have added that you will need a canister filter or external pump to use an inline CO2 reactor. The Foster's and Smith setup has a lot of junk in the tank which I would prefer not to see. I think the Reactor 1000 uses 1/2 tubing so make sure your canister tubing is of the appropriate size.

If you go with a pH controller, make sure to get the appropriate calibration solutions with the controller also. Depending on where you get the controller, you may receive a single packet (or two) for the initial calibration of the pH probe...or you may not. I calibrated my probe monthly but some calibrate less frequently.

By using a canister filter or external pump, the only items you should have in the tank are the pH probe and the filter inlet(s) and outlet(s). You can really keep things "stealth" if you use a Hydor External heater. These also fit inline (on the output) and keep the heater out of the tank as well. I've never used both a heater and reactor inline on the same filter so they may not fit due to the length...then again, I prefer to use two filters on larger tanks if I can ;)

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I am a newbie setting up a new 90G planted tank. I want fully automated, inline CO2. What should I buy to set this up?

I am googling and I see plenty of articles on how to set up fully automated CO2 (like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?articleid=527) but not much info on how to hide the equipment and make it inline. I definitely want both - fully automated and inline.

I'm also looking for specific brand recommendations because I'm a little overwhelmed at all the choices out there. If you have fully automated, inline CO2 and you're happy with your setup, please let me know exactly what you are using!

Thanks in advance :)
I use the CalAqua in-line diffuser hooked up the the outflow of my canister filter. An ADA selenoid valve turns the CO2 on and off. Both lights and selenoid are controlled by $5 Walmart timers. CO2 comes on 1 hr before the lights on and turns off 30 min before lights out - that is the extent of my automation. All of this is hidden inside the cabinet.

Agree with MatPat, check out Greenleaf Aquariums. Although I did not buy the CO2 stuff from Orlando, I was very satisfied with items I got from him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts