Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks! I'm interested in what shrimp you are keeping in your tanks. Tell me a little bit about them!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you have quite the shrimp crew, Turtlehead - excellent! Do you like any of them more than the others?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I love my new crystal red, she's pregnant now, can't wait for her beautiful fry. Hope they look as good as her. My favorite used to be the cherrys, amano's take up a lot og space but are good algae eaters, and the bumble bees have noce black and red colors.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ghost shrimp (some of which have turned white...) and red cherry shrimp.
The ghost are excellent scavengers for my tanks and the cherries have cleared up all that nasty fuzz algae that was creeping in. Thinking bout getting rid of my bristlenose pleco and getting more shrimp instead!
Problem is I don't know what to do with poor Spike =( none of the stores around here take fish

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh Thearin, you can't keep Spike and still get more shrimp?

That's exciting, Turtlehead -- I'm pretty sure the babies will look good! All my Crystal Red babies were pretty except one that I suspect may be either an albino, or just a throwback from the normal Bee Shrimp. Well, except he's not black. He's very pale, but larger than the Cherrys, so he seems like a Crystal. He also has just the faint coloration of the white spots on the tips of his tail, which makes me suspect more he is a Crystal. All the others have good color.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
At this time I have 5 Amanos & 1 Tiger shrimp, both make great algae eaters. I have found that Amanos like eating algae off rock/gravel and Tigers prefer plants for feasting on algae.

I did have 1 Red Spotted shrimp and some Cherrys, unfortunately my monster red shrimp decided that the Cherrys where snacks. I hate to say that my monster past away about a week ago after transferring him to a larger tank. The only reason I can think of that he died was the hard water.

I'm hoping to score some more shrimp at the auction Sunday.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I love my darling Spike but he doesn'y fit very well in the tank anymore. I've got a Sword he's damaging when he scrapes the algae off all the other plants are so tiny he has trouble cleaning them effectivly. Besides which, i really don't get any algae at all (unless of course he's eating it before i can notice) so I feel bad that he has so little to eat. My tank is a lil overloaded as well so if I was to get more shrimp, I'd probably remove Spike to make room. I can't put him in my second tank as that's where the frog is...

Do you think tigers or amanos would be to large to have in a 20 Long? Was thinking bout getting some, but i might just get more cherries( when i can find the money, they're expensive buggers ;) )

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
I have Amano's and CR's. I picked up some Crystal Reds last summer in Denver, but haven't seen them for months, so I think I can safely assume they are no longer around.

I really think the Amano's are like dogs running around in the tank. They pick everything up and have to chew on it. It was a rubberband a few weeks ago. It's getting bad when I catch myself talking to them, saying things like "don't eat that....". LOL!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have some crystal reds, and cherrys, but they aren't breeding in the tank because its small. Can't wait to get my 6 gallon from aquarium plants. So that'll give'em alot of room.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thaerin, you can fit some Amanos in a 20.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lots of great shrimp in APC tanks it seems! That is nice to hear :)

I would like to avoid doing any identifications/descriptions of shrimp for the time being because I've read that some changes are being made to the scientific names, etc. I think that maybe I'll say something and have to stick my foot in my mouth! I would look personally to Asia for descriptions and identifications, although in many cases we have the importers naming and identifying shrimp any way they wish to sell them. There really isn't a whole lot of info at this point in time about shrimp.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Got myself 6 Crystal Reds at the Raleigh auction today [smilie=b:

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Very nice, John P!

YAYYYYYY Trena!!!!!! Glad you got them! When did they hit the auction block and may I ask what you paid? Was there anyone left still there?

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
After you left we took another break, I looked around some more and found 3-4 bags of Crystal reds. I paid $20 for 6 at around 4:30pm and we left at 5pm. Yes, there was some people left but the crowd had thinned out a bit.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts