Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
It is Utricularia gibba, and it is about as welcome in my tanks as hair algae or duckweed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It is like algae, but it can't be killed like algae. It will take over your aquarium and make a huge mess. It is amazing the ferociousness of this weed.

I know people that have had it for years and can't get ride of it.

Ben

·
Registered
302 Posts
Too small for that. But if you feed BBS it will enjoy the snack.

someone actually mailed me a clump of this stuff. Most of it died, but I have a few bits floating around.

Is this the same stuff amano uses for his foregrounds in riccia plantings?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I heard, somewhere, that the Utricularia gibba can serve as a kind of "net" to hold down the Riccia. I don't know if Amano uses it that way. Somehow, I doubt it. Amano is too much of a perfectionist, and I'll bet that his Riccia carpets don't have anythine else---hair algae or Utricularia---growing in them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know sometimes there is hair grass that he uses to hold some Riccia down.

He sells that $$$ aquascaping kit with string just for holding Riccia down. I'm sure he would admit to using nothing but that :D

Ben

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
There are a number of Amano tanks that do have Utricularia gibba mixed in with the Riccia. Look at the guppy tank in book 2 (pgs 56-57).

That has to be my least favorite plant. It took about 6 months of relentless tweezer work to get rid of it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts