Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How am I going to get rid of it from the tennelus..

You'll agree that the only way for these too forgone plants is for me to cut them right out, no?

I shouldn't have left it to get to this point, but when I cut away the tips before on one bunch a few weeks ago, it turned reddish yellow (bottom-left).. :(

Do I try to use Excel on it?

Do I just start with an EI dosing program and keep doing water changes and it will go away?

See the causes and possible solutions of the algae that I discuss here (when I thought it was BBA, and it was still manageable)..

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/algae/56292-black-thread-algae.html

Thanks for any help you could give..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ordering them tomorrow.

And I'll lower my pH (and thus raise the amount of CO2 pumped in) as soon as I get my Lamotte CO2 test kit, and my 2nd diffuser for the opposite corner of the tank..

Do I continue to dose with Flourish until then, or wait till I start with the macros?

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
I'd say just dose micros lightly for now.

Honestly, I don't think much of those co2 test kits. A drop checker would be better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the green of a drop checker (which I have) apparently can mean anything from 30 to 45ppm..

I'd like a little more accurate of an indication, and Lamotte's the best on the market, as far as liquid regents go..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, there's tank water in there, now, as it said in the instructions to put in there..

I don't know what my KH is, as the API solution goes yellow/orange right away, so either I have a kH of 0 (doubtful if the GH solution is correctly giving me a reading of 11), or the kit is suspect.

I'm going to order another one..

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Don't use tank water. You create water of a certain KH so that it turns green at whatever co2 concentration you want (I like 40). I believe there's a thread about that going on now.

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Use a 4dkh water solution in your drop checker. You can make your own or just get some from Greenleaf aquatics. I got mine for Billionzzz. It's cheap and at a drop at a time lasts forever. When that turns green, lime etc. you know you have enough CO2 in your water...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what's that orange solution that I added a drop of, if not 4 dkH solution?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
So what's that orange solution that I added a drop of, if not 4 dkH solution?
That is the reagent which reacts to the CO2 in the water. You need at least 2 drops, some put 3. You fill the drop checker up to the line with 4dkh water. You add 2-3 drops of reagent. You place in tank and wait 1-2 hours and then check the color. If its not a green (near to lime green) then you increase your CO2.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh..

Ok, again, instructions said one..

How could I make my own solution?

Just had an order shipped from GreenLeaf.. :(

Can't really justify another order just for 1 item..

I will if I have to, but..

·
Administrator
7,388 Posts
Get some calcium carbonate and mix it with distilled water until you get what you want. I'm sure somebody here could tell you precise amounts of each to use in a recipe. Of course, you'll also need a reliable KH test kit.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wouldn't I just keep using the same solution that came with the drop checker, and use 2-3 drops instead of 1?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
Wouldn't I just keep using the same solution that came with the drop checker, and use 2-3 drops instead of 1?
Cavan is talking about making the 4dkh water to put into your dropchecker. ...and yes you use the solution that came with your drop checker to add to the 4dkh water you started with in your drop checker.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Woohoo!

My ferts are here already!

Gotta love shipping it on the bus!

Question:

With the EI dosing, can I half the doses, and do a 25% water change weekly, instead of a 50% one?

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
No, you need to do full doses. That way your plants will always have what they need. Some people do less than 50% water changes as a rule. Remember the EI dosing is just a guide for a range of tanks. If you fall on the small side of the range and have very few plants you would cut down your dosing. If you fall on the large size and have medium to heavy planting you would maybe need to increase your dosage sizes.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Based on what you see here, where would you put me?

Note the frogbit covers about 1/5 of the surface..

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
That looks like a pretty good plant mass. I'd dose like it says. Why do you want to only do 25% w/c? I do 50% even in my shrimp tanks. I think the temperature thing is way overrated. If you think of natural settings one big rain storm or cloudy day could change the water temp. I'm not saying to purposefully make it a different temp but as long as you get it in the ball park I think it's ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts