Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm curious to find out what everyone does for their tanks when they go on vacation. Are there pucks on the market that will dose the plants the same as the ones used for fish.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
I keep my lights on a timer (a cheap one from home depot) and I dose ferts all at once for the days I'll be gone. I was recently out for a whole week and had a neighbor come over and dose my ferts half-way through the week and it went okay. There are automatic dosing timers, but I have no experience with them. As for fish, they can go a week with out food, but they'll nibble your plants.

-Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Davemonkey,

Did you find any problems with an algae breakout or anything noticable from dosing all at once?
I am trying to prepare for about 8-9 days away and my auto-feeder/doser (the brother inlaw) is moving out.....YAY! but I'm sure I could find someone to pop in. I have the timer already (with battery backup, very important) but I usually come home to some sort of problem. I think that Murphy guy and his law have something to do with it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have a friend feed my fish when I am on vacation, but I do not have him dose any ferts. I skip the last water change before the trip and let the fert build up take control. Last time I came back from a weeks vacation I just changed my water and went back to my normal routine. Things seemed to be fine when I came home. The growth slowed down a little but quickly restarted to it's normal growth.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Thanks Davemonkey,

Did you find any problems with an algae breakout or anything noticable from dosing all at once?
I am trying to prepare for about 8-9 days away and my auto-feeder/doser (the brother inlaw) is moving out.....YAY! but I'm sure I could find someone to pop in. I have the timer already (with battery backup, very important) but I usually come home to some sort of problem. I think that Murphy guy and his law have something to do with it.
There was a little film algae on the swords and some film/green spot algae on the glass. But it wasn't anything major. I wiped the glass and did a water change and the fish took care of the film on the leaves.

My biggest problem was that my rainbows got really hungry and ate the new leaves off of my downoi. But they are starting to recover.

-Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks chag,

I have a few red plants and a lot of the concern is them getting enough iron. Is there a dissolving iron tab at least?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There was a little film algae on the swords and some film/green spot algae on the glass. But it wasn't anything major. I wiped the glass and did a water change and the fish took care of the film on the leaves.

My biggest problem was that my rainbows got really hungry and ate the new leaves off of my downoi. But they are starting to recover.

-Dave
Thanks Dave,
I actually had rainbows up until recently but I found them to be too nippy on a regular day.
I have about a month before I leave so maybe I'll give a test run under a controlled environment and see where that takes me. From there I could probably figure out the best course of action of whether or not to have someone make a dose half way through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts