Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been thinking of trying your products, but don't know what to buy.

I currently dose a general fert, micros, potassium nitrate & iron.

Which product (s) would you reccommend for me to get started?

Thanks in advance :?

·
Registered
123 Posts
trenac said:
I been thinking of trying your products, but don't know what to buy.

I currently dose a general fert, micros, potassium nitrate & iron.

Which product (s) would you reccommend for me to get started?

Thanks in advance :?
<grin> .... well, the first question I usually ask is "why do you feel you need or want to change your current dosing routine?"

I do this as a hobby (taking care of other hobbyists) so I don't believe in change just because other people are doing something different ...

In fact, there are quite a few people who email me with this question, and by the time we get done talking about their current dosing routine, *often* all they really need is just a few tweaks to what they are currently doing (and using) to accomplish their goals ...

Since you say you are currently using "a general fert, micros, potassium nitrate & iron" ... my first recommendation is to ask yourself the question what do I hope to accomplish by changing what I am currently doing? Until I know what your goals are (and what you are currently using), I can't really make any suggestions ... that's the REAL answer ...

The easy answer would be to say "Oh, you need to buy Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, and Plantex CSM+B" ... and pick up some Magnesium Sulfate at the grocery store on your way home from work ...

But I honestly believe there are a lot of wonderful commercial liquid products out there. And unless there is a reason to change to a different product (i.e. like cost or greater control) ... in most cases, you can use what you are currently using (and currently understand and have a comfort level with) simply by making a few tweaks to your dosing strategy ...

I'm sure that's not the answer you probably wanted <GRIN> ... but hopefully, it helps ask the right questions ...

Once you have made the decision that you want to change to a PMDD style approach where you dose the right ratio of nutrients to meet the unique nutrient uptake requirements of your plants ... then sure <GRIN> ... its easy to say buy these three or four dry ingredients.

Obviously I personally am a believer in individually dosing the macro and micro nutrients ... but its only one approach ... there are a lot of "right ways" to do it ...

Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do you know what tweaks to make and if you need to make tweaks. Im never quite sure what it is that my tanks needs. Things seem to grow but not to get as dark as I would think a plant should look. Or soemtimes just up and die with the slightest gravel disturbance.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Test kits will tell you what you are lacking or have too much of. Nitrate, Phosphate are the 2 I had to pick up in conjunction with my regular tests. (KH, GH, NH3, NO2 and PH)

·
Registered
426 Posts
These are what you'll need from Greg, divided into 3 sections for ease of explanations:

HARDNESS ISSUES (GH/KH - Ca, Mg, CO3)
Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) - increases GH and KH. What Greg actually sells is CaMg(CO3)2 (dolomite), not CaCO3. Some (maybe most?) hobbyists don't like to use this because it clouds the water temporarily and doesn't dissolve completely. They prefer CaCl2 instead. I use PURE CaCO3 powder from brewing stores. If you want to use CaCO3 or CaMg(CO3)2, then post on the forum and I'll show you how to use it properly as to ensure 99% dissolution without all the hassle of pre-preparations. :wink:
Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4.7H2O)- increases GH. This is employed by hobbyists who use PURE CaCO3, CaCl2, etc.

NUTRIENTS ISSUES (N/P/K/Trace)
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) - provides NO3 and K
Monobasic Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) - provides PO4 and K
Plantex CSM+B - provides a relatively complete range of trace elements such as iron (Fe)

DOSING ISSUES
Teaspoon Set - ideal for those who abhor mixing stock solutions like myself. Oh, it's also useful for measuring chemicals for making solutions if you swing that way.
Dosing Bottles - I am not going to explain this because I don't want to advocate stock solutions. It's icky, messy, and gross. :biggrin:

Everything else you see on Greg's website are geared towards the more experimental seasoned aquarists. Don't think about them now. :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Greg, sorry I have not replied sooner but here it goes.

The main reason I'm wanting to change over to dry ferts is cost, I'm finding that the liquids are not lasting all that long with four tanks.

I'm currectly using Kent grow & kent micros, which are the ones I want to replace with dry ferts. For potassium nitrate I use Green light stump remover which I'm happy with and don't won't to replace. For iron I use Seachem brand; since I only dose iron once to twice a month I'm ok using the liquid form. I don't need phosphates because I rarely dose them. You may see something I'm missing, if so please advise.

I am still in the process of trying to get my ferts dosing schedule together. Dosing ferts even after a year is still a bit confusing for me. Any advice will be much helpful.

If I have not given you enough info, just let me know :)

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Greg, the above post labled as guest is my post... Trenac's.

Sorry I guess I did not log in :oops:

Trena

·
Registered
123 Posts
Anonymous said:
The main reason I'm wanting to change over to dry ferts is cost, I'm finding that the liquids are not lasting all that long with four tanks.
That's a perfectly valid reason ...

In your case ... you can replace the Kent Micros with a PMDD style micro nutrient solution of Plantex CSM+B and Magnesium Sulfate ... you will be able to dose this micro nutrient solution the same way you are currently used to dosing your Kent Micros solution ...

Your Kent Botanica Grow solution is an all purpose solution that provides both macro and micro nutrient solutions ... Through the use of your PMDD style micro nutrient solution, your Green light stump remover, you will be able to provide all of the nutrients you are currently providing with the Botanica Grow solution except potassium ... to get Potassium, you can also start dosing Potassium Sulfate with your Green light stump remover ...

For potassium nitrate I use Green light stump remover which I'm happy with and don't won't to replace.
Nothing wrong with this ...

For iron I use Seachem brand; since I only dose iron once to twice a month I'm ok using the liquid form.
I did to for many years ... I would probably suggest you continue that twice a month routine ...

I am still in the process of trying to get my ferts dosing schedule together. Dosing ferts even after a year is still a bit confusing for me. Any advice will be much helpful.
The key is consistency ... your plants will adapt to whatever dosing schedule/routine you create as long as you are consistent ...

Greg

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg, thanks a lot... That makes every thing crystal clear. I will place a order as soon as I use up the Kent I have now. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts