Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tank that is L 60cm X H 22cm X B 20cm. I have the following equipment and soil available: ADA Amazonia noarmal and powder type, An Eden 501 and an Eheim 2211 filter, A 3 liter CO2 tank full system and all the ADA powder base-substrate series and a 2ft light with a single T8 lamp. Various black rocks, ADA style 1 ft driftwood and I was thinking of getting some moss on wood/rocks.

I already have a heavily planted 3ft tank with a chiller for my small fish and shrimp and another 3ft Sulawesi rockscape shrimp tank without a chiller. I was thinking of planting it with a rockscape as well. I'm looking for suggestions on what else to put in there as opposed to my various schooling fish. Thinking of a pair of something different and interesting, maybe wild bettas or cichlids but looking for more interesting suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Why not a tank of native fish and plants collected by yourself? I think that could make an interesting set up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I agree with Bert that a local biotope would be a cool idea.

I know it takes a little more work but how about a brackish set up with a pair or three archer fish. These are really cool looking fish and probably an intersting fish to watch, especially if allow a few leaves of something grow emersed or have an anubias growing above the tank on a piece of driftwood (for insects to land on).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Er...we don't have much nature in Singapore, well not the naturally created kind anyway, heh. Collecting native fish and plants here is a challange too. Heck most of us don't know what freshwater fish is native to us. As for marine fish, of course all of us go fishing in the sea and very rarely in freshwater so native marine fish are quite known to us.

We're like the capital or importing and re-exporting marine and tropical fish so I have very few limits in terms of choice, except of course for legal reasons. For example, Pihranas are illegal here but Arrowana are not. Rays can't be legally sold in commercial avenues but we can breed and sell them to each other on a private transaction.

I guess we are too small and modernised here, wildlife is conserved and left alone. Only a few places are actual national parks or for you guys it's like a medium sized garden or backyard.

I would prefer something exotic but it was a good call, set me thinking about what we have around here.

(PS: everthing in Singapore is downsized accordingly. Our mountains are like a few hundred meters, so they are like hills to you, our rivers are streams to you and our forests are...well you get the picture but our are buildings are a hell of alot taller.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts