Aquatic Plant Forum banner

What type of lighting do you use?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I use mainly normal output flourescents. I like the more even coverage of the NO tubes. I think they allow for a better light spread than CF's.

On my 75g I have a 110w All-Glass CF fixture on the back half of the tank and an All-Glass Triple Tube strip light on the front for a total of 206w.

I also have two 55g tanks with ODNO lighting. Both have 4 Nutrigrow lamps, 2 in the front and two in the back. Each bulb is overdriven 2x. I estimate 48w per tube but I really have no idea how many watts per gallon these tanks have. However, growth is phenomenal!

After comparing the brightness of the ODNO lamps without polished reflectors to the All Glass CF lamps with reflectors, I don't see much of a difference. The light is very intense from both. When my CF lamps quit on my 75g I will be retrofitting it with a hood and some ODNO lamps. The price of 2 ballasts and 4 lamps is about the same as one CF fixture.

·
Premium Member
7,475 Posts
Power compacts on all 4 of my tanks, 2-Coralife fixtures, 1-JBJ fixture, 1-Built in JBJ.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i'm lucky enough to work for a lighting company so i use PC (because they are free :wink: )

·
Registered
329 Posts
Compact and NO mix on my main tank. NO on my others. I like the variety I can get from NO. I can mix and match colours to get just what I want, and on low tech tanks without co2, they put out plenty of light.

·
Registered
222 Posts
LOL! I had not seen the poll before, so I bit.

But you needed some to admit to plain old NO fluorescents, not OD'd.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts