Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I also wonder how he is able to keep alage away using just HC in that tank? No standard "fast growers" in there. I wonder what his dosing regimen is?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking nerite but wasn't sure. I haven't had any experience with these snails. All I know is that they keep the glass real clean and can't breed in a fw aquarium. Does anyone know where some are available in America?

Amber-
how large is your tank and what other algae eaters does it house?

The example for Oliver's tank I used I can only see nerites as the algae cleaning preference and there doesn't seem to be very many. Oh well... more questions to ask him when he comes here to texas =).

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
I get bunches during the summer off pond plants I bring in, might check with some local ponders if you cant find them elsewhere.

Jonathan...

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hi David

Sorry for the late reply, but it was CNY and the computer decided to take a break and threw a tantrum ... LOL

Am back now, the tank is a 20 gal long. It didn't house any other algae eaters but the 2 snails for at least 6 months, they did quite well by themselves but poop a lot. I recently added 2 ottos, a pair of Yamatos and a SAE.

They all get along fine with the 7 baby Pristellas and a pair of Rosey Barbs I have in that tank. It is a mismatch tank, as you can see by its inhabitants.

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
amber2461 said:
It is a Neritina Natalensis ... I have 2 in my tanks, they do quite a good job of cleaning up algae.
Hey amber, would love to know where you obtained these from! can ya help a fella out? [smilie=r:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Sure, where are you at??? Big Al's at Richmond recently had a big batch come in, this was 2 weeks ago, they might still be there though. Be warned, they are asking for 5.99 each.

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
excellent! thanks a pile...i'm going there today as fate might have it and will grab a few. they don't eat plants do they? anyhow, yah, i live in east vancouver, commercial drive area [smilie=h:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts