Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find it humorous to see how far we have come since we started this hobby. It kinda of puts things in perspective when we get flooded with newbie questions.

So how about it...what was your first post (or close to it ifyou have a really good one ;)) where you started considering plants? It DOESN"T have to be from this forum.

Here is mine :D

I want live plants but I don't want to deal with live plant stuff...

getting a 29g setup cycling and am trying to research what I can....and these forums seem to speed things up.

I (as would most people) would like to have live plants instead of plastic. I am not looking for a whole lot...just maybe 3 or so.

Can anyone recommend some plants that will do fine in low light levels (standard fluorescent setup), will not require CO2 suppliments, and will not require "special soils". I know this sounds like I am looking for a miracle plant...but there might be some really hardy ones out there

·
Registered
389 Posts
Aw shucks... I just went to look for my first inquiry at Aquaria Central, but it was more than three years ago and the archives don't seem to go back that far. I do remember that I was very lucky to have had Robert H and Tom Barr post replies, and that was it - a good pep talk and I was set to go. And that was the beginning of my obsession with aquarium plants.

Prior to this, my interest initially started with those Wal-Mart Aponogeton bulbs. I got a few of those, discovered that I wasn't doomed to kill *all* things green, even managed to get some seeds from them, and then I started asking the questions to see if I could possibly have similar luck with other plants.

Feels like it's been way longer than three years since I ventured into plantkeeping. Wish that first post still existed...

-Naomi

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Mine was actually not a solly as I thought it would be. I guess though that I had been lurking and reading a lot before I joined a forum. It was a Aqua Botanic, and those folks and that site really go t me into plants. Helped me to stay in plants too:)

posted Thu November 06 2003 03:58 PM
Hi. Love this forum. I am new to this forum as well as new to the hobby. I would like to set up another tank and had some questions about lighting and Co2. Here is my plan so far:
-30 gallon
-60watts of florescent
-Fine gravel, 2 to 3 inches deep
-Possibly florite (1") under the gravel
-Lots of plants. I really like all the different crypt. I will hove lots of them.
-Probably some stem plants, boccopa, cabomba, demersom, Hydro, ect as background
-Nice driftwood center peice w/ a few rocks
- Groundcover plants. I could use some input here. Not a lot of them. I would like to keep some open spaces in the gravel toward the front
-filtration, canister of DIY canister that turns over the water 3 or 4 times per hour.

I do not want to do CO2(money of compressed, hassle of DIY) but would if I need to. Does it sound like I need CO2. I like a moderate fish load. I would have something like 4-6 rainbows or mabey Gourmias, 4-6 ottos, and a school or two of small tetras( cardinal, neon, etc). Also mabey some corys.

I could put more light (its DIY and dont worry, i basically know what I am doing there)but I dont want to big of a hood and I dont want to spend to much Money( kinda poor you know) That is why I am sticking with a 30 gal. Big enough but to a fortune to fill it w/ plants.

Any info would be great.

BTW, love this forum. It has been a big help so far. I find it and especially all the people on it extremly informative.
Neat idea for a topic Gomer

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gomer, did you get any good answers to your question?? Since I am a newbie, I am still looking for that "perfect plant" and your question relates to me.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
My first questions about planted aquaria about 4-5 years ago weren't made on a forum. They were made on Erik Leung's chatroom #aquaria. He was very helpful when I was setting up my first planted tank (not to start with too much light... DIY CO2... ferts, etc)

Carlos

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Hi Joanne. Aquatic plants do very well on nitrates. I once grew 8 genera, including Vallisneria, Elodea, Ceratophyllum, and even Aponogeton madagascareinsis, in sterile culture,(well, almost sterile, at least algae-free), in flasks with nitrate as their only source of nitrogen. They all grew very rapidly and used up all the nitrate supplied. This is not to say that they can't also use ammonia. I believe that if you have measurable nitrate, even as low as 1PPM, that should be plenty for your plants. If the plants aren't doing well, look to other needs, nutrient, or otherwise. With UGF, iron deficiency is likely to occur. I grow my plants in soil or a soil-gravel mix, with no filtration of any kind. I am sure that Anubias can use nitrates also. Anubius is one type of aquatic plant whose roots do not appear to be adapted for living in anaerobic mud. I have noticed that Anubias does almost as well floating as rooted, and that Anubias roots tend to attach to stones and gravel the same way that the modified roots of ivy cling to stone. For Anubias, I would put just a small amount of soil (like 1/4 inch) at the bottom, and then have about 1.5 inches of gravel.

Paul Krombholz
This was my first post on APD, June 30, 1995. It was in response to Joanne's worrying about what her tropical fish store owner told her about aquatic plants needing ammonia and not being able to take up nitrate. This belief is STILL making the rounds, nine years later.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I dont have it exactly, but i first added yeast co2 and my plants were fizzing, so i asked Robert if the co2 was escaping my plants.

·
Registered
156 Posts
:shock: :shock: :? :? !!HELP!!! :shock: :shock: :? :?

MY *£[email protected] Plants keep DYING :(

Or something like that. I could not belive that my standard setup with 2x36W was not enough to grow Glosso and the like. I meant, if it wount work, why the hell sell it like that :?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Ok Folks lets back up a bit.

1) Please do not confuse the active transport of O2 by hemoglobin and
the dissolving of O2 in water, O2 does not actually dissolve in the same
manner that salt or CO2 dissolves. O2 is present in water because of
atmospheric pressure (i.e it follows Henry's Law for you Chemists). O2
is present in the blood because of the ability of the hemoglobin
molecule to bond an O2 molecule.

2) In nature CO2 does not follow Henry's Law because of the way it
combines with any cations in natural waters. This means that CO2 is
dissolved more like a salt then a gas in our tanks. The dissolution and
removal of CO2 from water is involved in those pH swings people like to
ask about. As an aside, CO2 does not typically attach to hemoglobin in
your blood. It dissolves into your blood plasm the same way it
dissolves into water.

3) When CO2 does not follow Henry's Law it does not affect the
saturation level of O2 which does follow Henry's Law. If you injected
N2 (a gas which follows Henry's Law) into your tank you could force out
the O2 but not by injecting CO2 at the levels that we can.

4) SAV's store most of the night's CO2 within their lacramal tissues and
actually store a great deal of the day's production of O2 as well.
Algal blooms and die-offs are what cause the O2 crashes that cause fish
kills in lakes not SAV's. SAV's are unlikly to remove enough O2 from
your tank at night to cause distress to your fish. It is the bacteria
in your tank consuming any decaying matter that threatens your fish. If
you really think that O2 deprevation is a problem supply a little
surface agitation, a small aquaclear filter would do the job.

All that said, it is very unlikely that the CO2 killed that poor guy's
fish. I hope he figures out what it was.

Sean Murphy
Fisheries Biologist
That was my first of 2 whole posts to the ADP, back in the early days of DIY CO2 and kitty litter debates. I haven't bothered to read or write to them since. The second post was about the availability of a book online.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thought I'd horn in a little on this thread since I have a related question.

A friend at work said he had a 30 long I could have, and I've been researching lighting for this tank. This will be my first planted tank, and I'm looking for economical ways to light it. The length, though, is a little problematic (36"). I'd like to try ODNO, but can't seem to find well-suited tubes that don't cost a lot. I'm looking for something like the P&A or Gro-Lux tubes.

Does anyone know of a source that will fill the bill?
BTW, thanks for any responses, and if this has been flogged already just point me in the right direction. I'm new here.

James.
My first post will be a whole year old next Friday. The funny part is, I couldn't wait for the tank, and bought a 20 before I got it. And the lighting that is over the 30 will be going over a 65 that I bought after it. Anyone see a pattern they can recognize? :wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hummm, well much to my dismay, I've only been posting for about a year now, since I was steered to AB by a friend who shall remain nameless :D . I've been keeping aquatic plants for about 8 years, and I've used every low-tech approach concievable. So I'm sure my first post had something to do with a soil substrate.

However now I find myself giving the comemrcial substrates a whirl ( i have 12 bags of eco complete and 3 bags of onyx waiting for their homes to be created)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just realized my first post to the ADP was my also my penultimate post there.

I’ve wanted to use that word for a long time. :lol:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Just found this at Aquabotanic. I think this IS my first ever post.......

"posted Tue September 16 2003 07:08 PM
Hi to all the aquarium experts out there:

I am a novice at fishkeeping, even though I have been keeping fishes for almost 5 years now. The reason I still consider myself a novice is because I have achieved very little as far as my tanks' aquascaping goes. So I am here to ask for anyone's help, and you are all greatly appreciated

Recently, I have decided to build my own CO2 reactor, and few questions sprang to mind. However, I think I have managed most of them, except for this one. Just exactly where in the tank should I place the tubing in which the CO2 bubbles come out? I have read from some article that it is best to place it somewhere near the outpour of the filter. Forgive my meager fishkeeping terminologies. Yeah, so somewhere near where the filtered water comes out, so the CO2 bubbles would be diffused so as to not become lost through surface evaporation. Is this the right way? Or should I place the tubing somewhere farther from the the water outlet? Moreover, I have bought one of those CO2 Reactor made by Nutrafin("The Natural Plant System"), which I later discovered is nothing more than the DIY CO2 reactor I recently made, if not incredibly similar. The only difference being that it requires some sort of "Stabilizer", which I am postulating could be a type of trace element that the "Activator"(AKA:Yeast)needs, alongside sugar. Now, is that totally necessary? Or I can simply stop spending money to buy those refill packets(they only come in pack of 3, each has one pouch of activator and one pouch of stabilizer) Could I possibly stop doing that, and just add my own house-hold sugar and yeast? Please, feel free to let me know how you all think on this "economic" system(any comments or opinions welcomed) And plus any advice on making and maintaining a successful planted aquarium(Not necessarily Amano-like, but healthy and thriving plant population) "

·
Registered
106 Posts
i was, as usual, a constant lurker at the forums, leaching everyone off their knowledge. My first post is at arofanatics, by the nick brrrrrr, where my questions are mainly on fishes. Wow, memories.

Cheers
Vincent

·
Registered
852 Posts
My first post had something to do with finding a good resource to ID Ludwigias. It was on the APD, and I'm too lazy to find it. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts