Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,
i'm setting up a 240L tank with about 100W of t5 light.
I have not yet set the tank yet.

I have:
1 bucket of sera flore depot substrate
5 bags of Elos substrate to come on top of it,
No CO2,
regular tap-water here..

I'd like to have a grass-planted front.
What could you point me out to a few types of plants?

And i'd be happy to see how it worked up for you if you have a story i could learn from.

Thanks you.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I love dwarf hairgrass. I think I have heard that micro sword is more suited for low light, but I haven't had that plant in ages and it grows pretty slow. Your tank should be able to grow hairgrass just fine though. I just love the deep green and the texture is awesome. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Hi EQUINOX,

I like giant hairgrass, the Eleocharis sp. that I picked up from one of our APC members. It grows about 18" tall for me and the leaves (strands) are very flexible so they move in the current from the output of my filter. I plant it along the back of the tank.

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I think you'll find that any 'grass-like' plant will be too tall for your setup unless you're using a very large and tall tank....at least that's my opinion - most of those get 3-4 inches tall, removing the sense of scale from the tank.

If you'd like to use a grass-like plant as a foreground in a tank less than 120 gallons, I'd recommend Eleocharis parvula (stays 1-2inches depending on light) or Utricularia gramnifolia (can be more dmeanding to keep in terms of light and co2)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts