Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been wanting to get a larger tank. I have a 20 gal, but would like to get something in the 40-60 gal range. I'm thinking about building it, and am contemplating a deeper(not higher) tank than the average size. I'm thinking that I'd like it to be about 3'wide x 16" high x 2' deep. What do you think? I also have 2'w x 1.5'h x 2'd as another option. Do either of these sound like good ideas?
thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
326 Posts
It depends on what type of plants you plan to use. 16" deep isn't deep enough for taller plants like swords.

Charles

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm happy with most stem plants, and my 20 gal high is tall enough for me, so I didn't think that I would need a taller tank. I also was hoping to keep the costs of lighting down so I am leaning towards a shallower tank because of that.

I looked into the 40 and 50 gal breeders, but I can build a tank for cheaper than they cost around here. (a 40 gal breeder costs about 100 and I can build the 3'x2'x16" for 70) So I figured a deeper tank would be nice because it would provide alot of room for aquascaping and give more floor space for the german rams I'd like to get.

I also thought that a 2'Lx2'Wx1.5'H tank would be cool because it'd be different, but I would like to let my lily grow to the surface, so I think in a 2'x2' area of water surface it wouldn't allow enough light to get to the plants below.(that's why I thought about lengthening it to 3'

what do you think?

PS thanks for the input
Scouter

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Recently I've been wanting to get a larger tank. I have a 20 gal, but would like to get something in the 40-60 gal range. I'm thinking about building it, and am contemplating a deeper(not higher) tank than the average size. I'm thinking that I'd like it to be about 3'wide x 16" high x 2' deep. What do you think? I also have 2'w x 1.5'h x 2'd as another option. Do either of these sound like good ideas?
thanks,
Scouter
How well this shape tank will look might depend on where in the room it is located. Against a wall I wonder if it will look right, but as a "room divider" type installation I think it would look great - three sides to look through. A 24" deep (not high) tank gives a lot of room for a light fixture of just about any total wattage you might want. And, the 24" x 36" foot print would work well with pendant MH light fixtures too. Aquascaping it would be a challenge, because you would want it to look right from three directions, but it should be very interesting. It would work very well with a layout featuring height in the middle surrounded by low areas.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How well this shape tank will look might depend on where in the room it is located. Against a wall I wonder if it will look right, but as a "room divider" type installation I think it would look great - three sides to look through.
I'll admit, that's probably the one problem that I really am worried about. I love the idea of a really deep tank, but I'm afraid it will look funny against a wall, esp. in my room and in my new apartment(where ever that is). When I move out for Dental School, I'll probably have a small place, so I don't know if I should really make it that wide.-But I want to sooo badly

A 24" deep (not high) tank gives a lot of room for a light fixture of just about any total wattage you might want. And, the 24" x 36" foot print would work well with pendant MH light fixtures too.
This was a plus for me. I really like the footprint that a 2' deep tank would give because of all of the lighting options it would allow.

Aquascaping it would be a challenge, because you would want it to look right from three directions, but it should be very interesting. It would work very well with a layout featuring height in the middle surrounded by low areas.
That is why I'm a little worried about having a 2x2 cube-like tank. I don't know how it would look and I'm aquascapingly challenged to begin with, so I'm a little timid about trying this size.

A new question. . . I'm thinking I'll let my budget decide- How many watts from a T5 HO fixture would I need to get plants like ludwigia repens and rotala colorata to stay red or pink at about 8" under the surface? Also, The two sizes 2x2x16" and 2x3x16" would be roughly 40gals and 60 gals respectively, are these sizes safe for an apartment above the ground floor? They would have a wider footprint so the weight would be better distributed, but do you think its too much weight?

Anyways, thanks for your help guys

Scouter

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Regarding the tank and the apartment, I certainly would not hesitate to put a 40 or a 60 gallon tank in an apartment I lived in. If the structure was so bad that it couldn't support either of those two, I don't think I'd want to live there. :)

I'll let someone else answer the light question, since I have no experience with T5 lighting.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well at least that alleviates that fear. Thanks Bert. Yhea, I'd hate to build a tank and then find out that I'd need some astronomically large lighting setup to support the plants I like. So I think I'm going to have to estimate every additional cost and see what the most cost-effective size is.

Another question. . . what do you guys think would be the best type of filter for a tank of this size?
I was thinking of doing a DIY setup but I don't know if it'll be cheaper than just buying a filter-any thoughts?

Thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
44 Posts
My two cents is that a 2x2 would be more pleasing to the eye than a 2x3. Cubes can be quite attractive. A 2x3 is just close enough to being a cube that you'll probably just wish it was a cube.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
My big tank is 48x18x24 (90G). Hard to aquascape and maintain a tank that tall. My next big tank won't be over 18" tall but might be over 20" deep if I have access on 3 sides.

Mike

·
Registered
469 Posts
I really like my 50. 36x18x18. Gives a good surface area for fish and planting is easy. Had it built locally with nice thick glass and a special top for using my coralife fixture with adjustable legs, so makes working in it very nice. The tank ran me $150 with the top, but the little extra seems to be well worth it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My two cents is that a 2x2 would be more pleasing to the eye than a 2x3. Cubes can be quite attractive. A 2x3 is just close enough to being a cube that you'll probably just wish it was a cube.
Yhea I really like cubes too, but I don't know if I can pull off having a lotus at the surface and still have a decent aquascape. That's why I came up with the 3x2 idea. I pictured the surfaced lotus and some lower-light plants on one side and some higher light plants on the other where the lotus doesn't cast a shadow. I guess I could toss the surfaced lotus out and that would make things a lot easier, but I'm still wary of having to aquascape a cube-I just don't think I have the skill. But I suppose you can't learn to swim by sitting on the beach. .

I guess a 2x2 wouldn't be as hard to place in my future apartment- now that I think about it, they're just so versatile you could really place them anywhere. Hmmm.

Thanks for the input-it's helping me look at all the pros and cons. I'd love to hear some other's 2 cents worth too!!

Thanks,
Scouter

·
Registered
299 Posts
I wouldnt go over an 18" high tank. YOu would need really strong light, preferably MH if u did. That 50 sounds perfect 50x18x18. Nice amount of length width and height. If I had to add another tank right now, and keeping it not overly large, Id love to go 75 gallon but I would never in an apartment that I may move out of within a year or two, ID go with a 50 gallon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.