Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey im thinking of rejoining SCAPE. Before I pay my dues. What is new with SCAPE? any meetings coming up soon. Last time I was a member there was only one meeting with 3 members:confused:
just trying to see if its worth the $$ in these recession times. Although I miss DJ's humor and Ed profound squirt method of dosing the tank and Ron's scientific aproach to planted tanks. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
I can't be 100% sure but there is a planned meet and greet the first week of Feb. There will also be discussion on the direction and plans for SCAPE's future. It sounds exciting, I know I want to be there for that. If you do rejoin I will see you there.

·
Registered
765 Posts
i did not know the club was still active, but if interested i am planning on making a yos and oranda aquarium (smb blvd near la brea) sat afternoon and have some rotala macrandra "narrow leaf" (including a little emergent growth) and rotala 'green' messing up my flow. pm if interestrd.

(this was tapped on my phone. please excuse typos)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did not know the club was still active, but if interested i am planning on making a yos and oranda aquarium (smb blvd near la brea) sat afternoon and have some rotala macrandra "narrow leaf" (including a little emergent growth) and rotala 'green' messing up my flow. pm if interestrd.

(this was tapped on my phone. please excuse typos)
Wet what LFS are you talking about. I really envy AAPE they have monthly meetings. i know some LFS might be able to host meets. Kirt @ AAF in LBC really stepped up for SCAPE. But I think SCAPE never really took off. Maybe SCAPE should be free or $5 to get more members. I know people are busy and not everyone can attend every month. There should be a San Diego branch for meets b/c the members are too spread out. BTW SCAPE is the best club name eva! Come on lets get some feedback people.

·
Registered
765 Posts
yeah, starting the club again would be fun. I'm easy and had fun shooting the **** it fishfry while gomer and the guys scaped though.

but I think the reality is a lot of dudes are in oc and sd and for those of us in la proper, that's far, yo. and of course this cuts both ways: I was the guy who arranged the Behemoth visit with Barr at Richards phat crib and was amazed maybe five guys showed up. there's a logistics and lazy California problem there ;)

the lfs's are oranda aquarium just west of la brea and santa monica, at the trader joes parking lot, which sometimes gets decent plants and has cpds and stuff. yo's aquarium on smb and van ness has cheap prices on freshly imported fish. easy to negotiate but you'll want a qt if it's not alrady been there a while.

·
Registered
29 Posts
i like marimos recommendation, i would rejoin if the prices were lowered and bit and know it would draw more people. I live in vista and dont have time to travel to la area. I think there are a lot of people in the san diego area that would join in if we could get the member cost down or make the meet and greets public and work on getting people to sign up if they were to show up. Just a thought...

·
Registered
142 Posts
there's a logistics and lazy California problem there ;)
Hey, I'm in San Diego too, and I would like to have an occasional meet-up. There are a couple great LFS in the area that really do support planted tanks, and aquascaping.

As for us Sothern Californians being lazy, I am deeply offended and think that you should be careful....oh wait...Santa Ana's blowing it's 75 out, not a cloud in the sky, and the beach is a couple hundred yards away...finish this when I get back from going for a paddle...late:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah there's lots to do in SoCal but some meets, plant swaps, and group buys would be nice. Nor Cal and Arizona have there meets often. I received Pm's of really discouraged former SCAPE members that choose to not go public. I am willing to do my part. With donations and a % of some plant auctions
and some advertising the site can be free. I don't mind the $20, its what you get in return that erks me. Perhaps some of the SCAPE administers want to chime in.;)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Victor, do not pay any dues. I am about 99.999% sure that I am going to make SCAPE FREE for all to join.

SCAPE is in a major rebuilding phase right now. I have been asked by some to take over and the 1st thing I am going to do is scrap the membership fees and open the forum up all the way to all.

There are other things that will be going on to get membership up.

I am not fully at liberty to say and do anything with it yet, but soon enough there will be some announcements.

I am also almost certain that this SCAPE section will be removed from APC.
It has been great for those non paying members of scape to stay in touch, but since SCAPE will be free to all and the forum will be open to all, I would like to encourage all members to spend a little more time there to get the activity up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Toby! This is going to work so much better being free. I know you know how to raise money in many different ways. I remember the first meeting I attended when we had the plant auction. It was awesome! I got discouraged with the other meetings at the fish places, even though Kirt is a good friend of mine, because we were unable to do what Planted tank clubs do and that is trade and sell awesome plants, fish and equipment! I am able to help out during the winter and summer months not during college football season. I live in San Pedro. I have two tanks which are over grown with plants all the time! I hate throwing stuff away and hate to try to sell and ship plants! I really want this thing to get started again and grow.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Plant auctions are a great way to raise money.
The great thing about it is most plant portions go for $1 each.
Most of the people that bring them donate 100% to the club.
The first plant auction we had in Phoenix raised the club about $600.
That was a meeting where a couple of members just did total tear downs so there were huge portions of plants. But many people brought in lights and filters and other stuff sitting around the garage.
Same thing, most all members did 100% donation and some lights and filters sold for near $100 (only one of each, but what generosity of those members).

Even the smallest meeting that had an auction, this was about 15 members, usually there are 25 people plus in AZ, there was still about $150 made.

What is done with this money, the anniversary / holiday party that AAPE holds each December, there were full c02 set ups ( a couple) that auctioned off for about $50 to $75 (that is 5lb tanks, regulator, diffuser, and one even had the PH meter IIRC), there were ADA mini tanks and filters and all sorts of goods that were bought with club funds for the sole purpose of auctioning off the members for dirt cheap. And of course it was not all spent money since some was got back from the auction price.

This is what can happen with SCAPE, I am sure of it.
I will working with my AAPE buddies and we are going to join forces and sort of become sister clubs, which is great news for SCAPE members. We will sort of mimic their site and do as they do since they are soooooo successful.

Anyone not familiar with AAPE's club or site yet, check it out, follow my sig banner, it will jazz you to see what SCAPE should be changing into shortly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts