Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the best media has connecting pores throughout the media for more surface area and flow. Some of the ceramic rings aren't that great I think. Lava rock isn't that great either. The pores are small bubbles that mostly don't connect into the interior of the rock.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm currently using a mix of Fluval Biomax, some of the old AquaClear Biomax which is the small little pieces instead of Fluvals big pieces. I got some matrix that I haven't used yet but I can say I like the small pieces of biomedia versus the big chunks. The old AquaClear Biomax looks like small uniform pieces of pumice almost where fluvals looks like it might could be crushed glass or something similar. I tend to gravitate towards something that has the texture of pumice/lava rock. Not sure if this answers the question of which is best but just my thoughts on it.

-James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if sponges are still the best media. Why bother spending all the money on ceramic media. I'd cut a sponge into little cubes to increase surface area.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sponges are great and a lot of time under rated. I didn't know if you meant the best media as in just ceramic media or all together. Sponges can act as a water scrubber depending on the courseness of the sponge. Even something as simple as a pot scrubber like the plastic ones from the dollar store can even work in a canister filter. The King of DIY has a video on different odds and ends to use as bio media.

-James

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used pot scrubbers years ago but threw them away. The plastics isn't durable underwater. They deteriorate after a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are a newbie aquarium keeper, or even if you have a couple of years’ worth of experience, I highly recommend this product Aquapapa biological ceramic rings filter media. You can use it as either a replacement filter media or have it work in line with your existing filters. By doing that, there is a guarantee that you will have a crystal-clear tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts