Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a couple of rather large nervous fish to my 10 gallon tank of minnows and awoke the next morning to a tank of multiple dead fish. The dead fish water odor was terrible so I removed the dead fish and did a water change. It was then that I noticed that the output tube for the external filter was not functioning. This old cheap external filter is a cheap J shaped plastic tube that syphons aquarium water into the external filter chamber. It is not secured in any way and simply hangs over the rear glass of the tank. I surmise the large nervous fish knocked it loose and caused the accident in the tank. This is what you call "learning the hard" way. So???? is that dead fish water going to hurt my beautiful live aquatic plants????:painkille

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's too bad.

When I was a kid I would stock aquariums with anything I thought looked cool, almost never do water changes of any amount, and rarely change filter cartridges. My tanks were writhe with death. Things got eaten, died of bad water quality, diseases, and parasites.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One of my worst fish expiriences was when I had a tank full of discus. I was fanatical about water changes and the cleanliness of my equipment. I put bleach in my python and then ran dechlorinator through it. Evidently not enough dechlorinator because the next thing I knew my beautiful little discus were gasping at the top of the tank. I spent the rest of the evening and half of the night doing water change after water change using a regular syphon and bucket. Lost about 4 little guys. It was not pretty!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've faced all sorts of challenges in my years, but by far the worst is when my wife comes home and sees that I spilt a couple of drops of water on the carpet during maintenance. Eeouch!!:fencing:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a 110 gallon discus tank once........yea it was bad. I was walking down the stairs with laundry and as soon as i passed my family room i hear a crash and i froze...i turned looked behind myself down the hall and a surge of water came blasting out of my living room along with about 12 adult discus. turns out the bottom of my tank blew out for no known reason. I will tell you that i never understood what the amazon was like until i went into my basement and it was pouring through my floor boards. It felt like a rainy day in the amazon in my basement. I have never done a glass tank since. I understand its rare but i pay a little more for the security of an acrylic tank. Insurance paid for everything plus some but hard to replace my fish with money.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
In college I had a 100 gal Oscar tank. I spent a lot of time preparing different foods for them and spoiling them. I came home one day to find my brother wanted to feed them something more exotic...PIZZA! After two weeks I still couldn't get the greese film off the water, both my big Oscars got serious sick, and I eventually tore the tank down, gave away the fish and the tank. (Ironically, the Java Fern I had growing on some driftwood seemed to have a growth spurt during those two weeks. )

Wow, that was nearly 10 years ago! And the next tank I set up after that was just this past January...my first planted tank! :)

-Dave

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Toss up between the time my 29gal sprung a leak and I discovered it after it lost about half the water onto a linoleum floor, and the time my 50 popped the CO2 reactor line and my son called me at a party after he discovered it a couple of hours later on the carpet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I put 12 of my baby african chiclids from my 10 gallon breeder to my 50 gallon african tank with out checking the ph. My 50 gallon tank had not been checked in a while and the ph had droped to 6.8 from the 8.2 I had it at 6 months before. Assuming it was at 8.2 the same as the baby tank I just put them in. 3 hours later all 12 where dead and my wife started crying about how I was a fish murderer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My goldfish tank got fish TB, and my 17 year old goldfish died. I cremated him on the barbeque and I still have his ashes in a pretty glass jar that cost me £30.

The other worst incident was when I lived in a top floor flat, and my external filter sprang a leak on my 100gal! I had been out all night and got a call from my neighbours in the morning saying water was coming through their ceiling. All fish survived, ONLY about 100 litres had gone - I didn't tell my neighbours that though.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Lets see... I have two incidents. One was when I was a child. (My C key is sticky) this sucks.

I had a big glass bowl with a newt in it. Something hit the side and the bowl exploded everywhere. (it was BIG). I think everyone survived.

A few years ago I was online late at night, just as well. I heard something odd. Looked over at my tank and I was losing water. I was losing water at a rate of an inch an hour. it had sprung a leak! I had goldfish so I got them out with some water and proceeded to dump the tank water.

The other one isn't really tradgic or anything. Just annoying.

My mother takes my acryllic tank and uses a scrubby pad to get rid of algae. I still use said tank, but it is not very clear.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good job guys. Makes a fellow feel like he isn't the only one that runs into bad luck. By the way DaveMonkey, how old was your brother when he fed the pizza to your fish? Hmmm, pizza fertilizer for a Java Fern; I'll have to remember that!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The worst thing that had happened to me was when I was a teenager. I had a 35 gal hex in my room. It had sprung a leak one day - 3 inches from the bottom of the tank.
I had came into my room and passed in front of the tank (in bare feet) and stepped onto the wet spot on the carpet and my whole leg started tingling. But being a teenager and none too bright, I quickly lifted up my foot and it had stopped so I put it back down again...the same thing happened. It took me three trys before I figured out that I can not put that foot down. I stood there with one foot off the ground for a few minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I then noticed that the water in the tank was lower and then I began to notice that there was a small stream of water going down the leg of the fishtank stand. Then It totally dawn on me that there was an electrical extention cord sitting on the carpeting. I put my foot down one more time and relized that I was electricuting myself. I was SOOOOO relieved! I was not going to die and that I did not have anything wrong with me - except not being one of the brighter kids.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The worst thing that had happened to me was when I was a teenager. I had a 35 gal hex in my room. It had sprung a leak one day - 3 inches from the bottom of the tank.
I had came into my room and passed in front of the tank (in bare feet) and stepped onto the wet spot on the carpet and my whole leg started tingling. But being a teenager and none too bright, I quickly lifted up my foot and it had stopped so I put it back down again...the same thing happened. It took me three trys before I figured out that I can not put that foot down. I stood there with one foot off the ground for a few minutes trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I then noticed that the water in the tank was lower and then I began to notice that there was a small stream of water going down the leg of the fishtank stand. Then It totally dawn on me that there was an electrical extention cord sitting on the carpeting. I put my foot down one more time and relized that I was electricuting myself. I was SOOOOO relieved! I was not going to die and that I did not have anything wrong with me - except not being one of the brighter kids.
OMG i gotta say that one made me laugh so hard i cried. Thanks man i needed a good laugh.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My worst experience was about 45 years ago. Had about 12 tanks full of fish and was in a flood to my ceiling. Tanks and stands remained, but all fish went downsteam. Sold off all the tanks and equipment and finally about a year ago began again. Enjoying it more than ever.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A couple of years ago I had a 55gal with a pretty big oscar in it. One of me roomates yells at me that he has jumped out and is flopping on the ground. I run down stairs and quickly grab him and put him back in the tank and go back up stairs thinking all is well. About an hour later go back down stairs and notice my filter is making a weird noise see the tank is half empty. Turns out he must have knocked the output hose lose on my magnum 350 and it eventually came off and sent water all over the carpet. Was not fun to clean up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used to have a Discus tank with a few Corys and a few Cardinal Tetras. The heater stuck in the on position. I came home from work to find an oil slick of fish oil on the surface, and dead cardinals and Corys floating. The Discus survived barely but became brain dead and stupid, lasting a couple of months after the incident. That was about 20 or more years or more ago. I recently set up a 10 gallon planted Tetra tank near the sink in my kitchen. This one has Ember Tetras and Green Neon Tetras, and way too many plants...

When this happened I was waiting to set up a new 90 gallon glass tank, which I still have, never used. Not sure I will ever use it, an old O'Dell tank. I guess I can call it "new old stock", and unlike new 90 gallon tanks, it has no center brace. At this point I am not sure if I should trust it, or turn it into a terrarium, or simply leave it in the basement... I may never do a big tank again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a child of 10 or so, I had a 20 long with small fish like platies, guppies, & neons. My dad saw an unusual looking fish at the pet store and we brought it home. It was called a Clown Knife Fish, which I thought was funny, being 10 and all. Next day, some fish were missing. Then more were missing. And more. Eventually, while watching the tank intently, the Clown Knife yawned and opened it's mouth fully, when it registered where all of the small fish had gone!

Another bad one was waking up in the morning, getting dressed and feeling the unique sensation of Daffodil Brichardi oozing through my toes as I stepped on the not quite dead yet prize fish I had recently brought home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts