Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
The new leaves look healthy on the 'nana'. Trim off the old/damaged ones as they'll leach nutrients back into the water and will become algae magnets. The plant on the left/bottom looks like the rhizome was damged and infected or there is a severe nutrient defficiency.

What kind of lighting, Watt per gallon, fert, CO2, etc... do you have? Are these the only plants in the tank?

-Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

I was dealing with greenish water for 2 weeks, now things are better in regard to green water.
No chemicals were used, I started to use Flourish today first time.
the light was 25W 8000K, now added a second one.
No CO2
There is double amount of plants as you see on the photo in total in the tank.
Got the plants last weekend, they were in perfect health.
I do water changes every week 50%
The tank is 55Gl fully stocked, 3yrs old.
First time going with real plants, as you can see.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since the plants are new to this tank maybe you have Diatoms. Can you rub the leaf and the brown comes off?
Without CO2 you may need to use a carbon product instead of the CO2. I use Excel and dry fertz they are so much cheaper then using Say all of Seachems liquid fertz. I did all of Seachems micro and macro's until I learned what kind of fertz I wanted to mess with. I just bought a years worth of dry fertz for $2O with shipping. Then my local club did a group buy and got them for less then $10. I am doing the EI method for dummies. I bought tiny set of teaspoons and its so easy.

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2819-ei-light-those-less-techy-folks.html

http://www.barrreport.com/co2-aquatic-plant-fertilization/3205-fertilizer-routines-one.html

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Well, you have only 1/2 watt per gallon and with another bulb that will give you about 1. With the two bulbs, you'll still have very low light, but Java Fern and Anubias should be able to survive in that without using fertilizers. And, therefore, adding ferts will lead to algae.

Most times, plants that are introduced to a new environment (your tank from the store's) will go through an adjustment where they lose some leaves. Just trim off the bad leaves. Another thing is that some plants simply won't survive in very low light conditions and they'll just die.

Give it some time and see what happens. I don't think adding ferts is a good idea for your tank with the lighting you have, but I may be wrong. (Someone else please chime in. ) If you do add them, only add 1/2 the recommended rate until you get more lighting.

-Dave

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
You don't have enough light unless it's getting sunlight. Then if you tank into consideration how old the bulb is you may not even have as much light as you think. In 6 months they can loose almost 1/2 their strength. I think your plants are dying.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks no sun light on the tank, the bulbs were changed a month a go.
I can add more lights and see, I did add some flourish yesterday
Also UV sterilizer is in the mail.

OK: 55Gl

2 HOB Filters AC110 AC70

Air stone

Temp at 82

Nitrate at 10

Nitrite at 0

GH 25

KH 10PH

PH 6.2

Chlorine 0

Amonia 0

2 angels

2 corys

4 RGB

was fighting greenish water the natural way, no chems

no salt in the tank

yesterday started using flourish

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are the remaining plant experts, need some ideas here.
Appreciate all the help.

Can't blame a guy for trying!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think everyone has given you some good ideas.

Up your lighting slightly. Adding another T-8 or 2 should help.

Once you do that, you can think about fertilizers (macros and micros). As I said in your previous post, it looks like a macro nutrient deficiency.

Also, since its low light which means slow growth, you wont' see rapid changes in your plants. Make a small change and watch and observe for a while. New plants in a new environment need time to adjust and grow.

You might also want to take a look at Tom Barr's guide to running a non-CO2 low light planted tank.

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/433-non-co2-methods.html

Charlie

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Your initial post isn't very specific and it isn't immediately clear to me what you are asking about from the picture. So my question to you is what do you think the problem is?

I would also like to second other peoples comments on the fact that you need much more light for long term care.

I see the anubias has slightly greener new leaves, and darker older leaves with a bit of a decaying lower leaf. This could be a lot of things (emerse vs submersed growth, light-starvation, nutrient deficiencies, simple healthy new growth, etc...)but I noticed that you said you got the plants 2 weeks ago. Where, or who did you get them from? If they were bought from a local petshop, or another member then they might be nutrient deficient, but if they were from an online supplier I would doubt this. If the plants were fresh and pulled from a good nutrient filled environment then they would take a long time to run out of nutrients and show deficiencies.

Since there is plenty of nitrate in the water I doubt it is nitrate deficiency which usually manifests as pale new growth and dark old growth.

Another possibility is that the plant is rather large so it could very well be a few months or even a few years old, thus, the lower decaying leaf may just be dying of old age.

Yet another possibility is that the plant was initially grown emersed (above water). Was the plant grown emersed? Emersed anubias usually have leaves that are much darker than underwater growth, and look more smooth and thick vs. submersed growth which is a little more wrinkly and lighter.

We won't have a good idea without more information.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I agree with what everyone has mentioned above. The plants are adjusting to your tank and the new conditions and will lose some of the old leaves. As long as you're getting new leaves and they look healthy you should be okay. Anubias and java ferns are both plants that require a lot of patience. They grow very slowly so it will take a while to see improvements.

Additional light will help as 1 wpg is very low, especially since T8 fixtures tend to have poor reflectors. Keep removing dying leaves to avoid having them add more nutrients to the water and encouraging algae. I've had situations where one rotting leaf touched a healthy leaf and caused the healthy one to start dying.

Good luck and have patience.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I understand that my question was not clear, thanks guys.
The plants were raised the same way you see them on the photo attached to this drift wood, I picked up the driftwood with the plants this weekend from fish keeper in the area and they were in a perfect shape, but it was a cold day in NY.
I did add more lights and i did add flourish yesterday.
part of the problem might be that I have greenish water and i am waiting for my UV sterilizer, hope that will help.
Since I don't have much expertise with live plants wanted to see what I am doing wrong.
I appreciate all your help, I guess time should tell.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
Good to know. It sounds like the plants might just be growing out green in response to the green water.

Let us know in a week or two when the green water is gone, what is going on with the anubias. They are probably doing fine.

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
One more thing:
KH 10PH

PH 6.2
Something's wrong here. Either your test kits are off, or you're adding some chemical to affect your pH. Typically a high kh is found in water with high pH, unless you're adding CO2, which you are not. Or you're adding 'acid buffer', which apparently you are not either.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just as an update with UV Sterilizer in place and the greenish water gone with additional lights, a little flourish, the plants are getting better and new leaves are coming out.

thanks guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts