Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering what everyone's personal preferences/experiences are on different lights.
Scouter

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Doubt it...

If you are particular about color choose T5HO for more options.
you obviously never used hqi's they have a natural shimmer color t5ho's can't recreate

plus they make them in a wide array of color temperatures the only one i can think of that they dont have is 9325k but who need sthat hwen you can get 8000k :D

a 10,000k hqi looks better than a 10,000k CF any day of the week

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which one's more efficient? I always thought that HQI's were, but maybe I'm wrong. Does the amount of HQI wpg equal the same wpg of T5 HO's? I wish there was a place/store to go to compare them side by side (I mean its not like its a light purchase for lighting) I couldn't resist the pun :)

Scouter

·
Registered
299 Posts
I love 9325s but 8000k looks nothing like them. not even close. 9325s are known for the way they highleds redplants, and 8000k bulbs wash out the reds.

you obviously never used hqi's they have a natural shimmer color t5ho's can't recreate

plus they make them in a wide array of color temperatures the only one i can think of that they dont have is 9325k but who need sthat hwen you can get 8000k :D

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
I love 9325s but 8000k looks nothing like them. not even close. 9325s are known for the way they highleds redplants, and 8000k bulbs wash out the reds.
thats true im not really comparing the two im just saying 9325's are the only color temp you cant get in HQI. I personally prefer 8000k because its the best of both worlds. if you can ge a plant nice and red via good light and fertilization you'll still totally notice it with a 8000 k

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CF lights are more energy efficient than metal halides
so does that mean that if you're growing plants that require high light at about 4wpg with HQI's, you would need less wpg with T5 HO's? I don't know enough about the different systems and I don't want to get stuck on a certain lighting system when I'm choosing one for my next tank, so bear with me.

Thanks,
Scouter

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
When you start comparing any pendant light, hanging above the tank, with T5 lights sitting down near the water, the watts per gallon "rule" is useless. All light types lose intensity as you move them further from the substrate. The closer the light bulb comes to being a point source the faster it loses intensity with distance. And, the closer the bulb comes to being an infinitely long line source the slower it loses intensity with distance.

The HQI pendants can always give you whatever intensity you want, just by changing the distance they hang or sit from the substrate. But, the higher you hang them the more light spills over into the room. I think you just have to decide which appeals the most to you and go with it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm, I guess I didn't think about the added distance of having a pendant. Thanks for the advice Hoppy.

·
Jedi
676 Posts

hmmm...your funny.

Ive got 5500k to 14000k including ADA 8000k hqi bulbs...

Compact fluourescent are not what I would call efficient. Try again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I prefer vho! I Had All of them regular tube, t5, hql, hqi

Why vho instead of t5 les tube need 2 instead of 4 for the same watt you and up saving money on long term, vho have there own reflctor inside the tube so no need to add some in the hood, saving place and money. Only one ballast needed in vho and cheaper to run then hql and hqi.

Hql only have have 6500k to yellow a hated the look it gave to my tank. lot of heat and energy.

Hqi I love the light it give and the shimer is just real cool. But if you are sitting on your couch or anywhere lower than the ramp you get blind by it, it always give a glaire in tv an computer screen or anything that reflect light and had vist from cop twice because they think i am growing stuff. More heat comming from it so it heat up the water and the livingroom. Nice in winter pain in the but in summer. Cust a lot more in elcetricity.

If i ever have my aquarium in a wall i will go back for hqi no doubt about it but for apartment i prefer tube.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Compact fluourescent are not what I would call efficient. Try again.
So do you think that HQI's are more efficient than CF's, also, here's a dumb question-what's looped into the CF category? Is it just CF's and Halides and it branches from there?

Scouter

·
Super Moderator
7,436 Posts
Fluorescents are more efficient as the tube gets smaller in diameter. T12 four foot bulbs use 40 watts, T8 4 foot bulbs for the same light intensity use 32 watts. And, of course, T5 bulbs are much more efficient than T8. What is usually called PC bulbs are either a loop of T5 size tube, or two short T5 tubes side by side, and the basic bulb is not as efficient as the linear T5 tubes. Powersaver bulbs, the screw-in T5 size tube wrapped into a spiral are the least efficient because so much of the light is blocked by other portions of the tube getting in the way. The powersaver bulbs that are a single loop of T5 tube, giving two parallel tubes, are more efficient than spiral wound powersaver bulbs. Then, of course there are the HO bulbs, that are overdriven to produce more light from the same size bulbs, but with less efficiency than non HO bulbs. It is quite a "family tree"!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, thanks Hoppy, that actually clears up a ton for me. That response has been the most educational for me since I've tried to learn about lighting systems. Thanks! So if the HO bulbs are overdriven, do they have a shorter lifespan? (I'd assume that this is what you meant, but I'm learning that my assumptions are normally really off)

Scouter

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I have pc fluorescents and like them, I have never had t-5 or HQI fixtures though. I think next time I upgrade ill go with a T-5 fixture just to see.

BTW, I just got some GS 9325's and I feel that they are too pink. Just my oppinion though.

·
Registered
299 Posts
its your personal pref but I love hte look of hte 9325. They even makes greens look better. IF you think its too pink tho, then mix it with a 10k or 6700. Many people do feel its a bit pink and mix them with either of those too and love it. Jsut a suggestion :tea:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
its your personal pref but I love hte look of hte 9325. They even makes greens look better. IF you think its too pink tho, then mix it with a 10k or 6700. Many people do feel its a bit pink and mix them with either of those too and love it. Jsut a suggestion :tea:
There is a 9325 and a 6700 on the fixture.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts