Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I haven't been around here for ages and I've recently come up with some free time. My setup has sat dormant and dry for a LONG time now and I'm getting ready to bring it back into swing.

I have a 5lb aluminum CO2 canister and I was wonder how to tell when it needs to be hydrotested. I was looking at it and I really don't see a date on it at all. Anyone have any type of information that may lead me to my answer. Thanks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There should be two two digit numbers towards the to of the bottle. the first is the month and the second is the year. They are spaced out a little and sometimes have a symbol between the two. On my bottle the date it hi lighted. From what I remember they are good for 5 years. Hydro testing is usually about 35$.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
You'll see a bunch of numbers around the top of the canister. The date is the one that has two numbers, then a blank or symbol, and two more numbers....like... 08 @ 08 means August 2008...I think.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Catalina cylinder. I'm looking towards the bottom and it only reads "E738". Near that looks to be a two letter-number combination that reads "J9"

I don't see any other numbers except towards the upper curvature of the tank. It reads,
DOT-3AL1800 BB0048614 M4002 12CO4 CATALINA B5 TW 7.5LBS TC-3ALM124 T3.4KG

There is also a warning sticker on the front face and in the lower hand corner reads "CO2 9/01". I defintiely didn't have the tank until 2006, so I highly doubt that is the hydro date. Any help deciphering this mess will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Okay. The 12CO4 might actually be 04, but the letter C appears to have an L stamped on the inside of it. Could it possibly be the production date of 12/04, so the hydrodate would be next year?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've never had to have a tank tested...

Normally, I get my tanks filled (I have a 5 and a 20) at a local soda distributor (For about $16). When they told me my 20 was in need of testing, I "exchanged" the tank at Airgas for a full tank for ~$22 (and got a recently hydrotested tank in the process).

Hey - free hydrotesting! (or, HT for six bucks - not bad!)...

Now, I'll keep going to the local carboic supply (soda) place till this tank needs tested.

That's my strategy and I'm sticking to it.

- Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts