Aquatic Plant Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have just placed an order with Greg Watson and was wondering on how I should add these ferts?
Tank: 15G
Lighting:55wCF
Plants: riccia, tonina sp. belem, erect moss, taiwan moss, rotalla wallachi, indica, eleocharis acicularis.
fish:2 rummy nose, minnow, harlequin, flying fox.
Ferts: potassium nitrate, mono potassium phosphate.
This is what I got from Chuck Gadd's fert calculator.
1)Mono phosphate:
2 teaspoons in 250ml H2O = 1ml = 0.47ppm PO4
2)Potassium nitrate:
8 teaspoons in 250ml H2O = 1ml = 1.93ppm NO3
Also:
1)should I really get rid of the biowheel?
2)when should I test for the levels?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Your initial dose should be based on current levels in your tank. Do you have reliable PO4 and NO3 test kits? Test first before dosing. If you plan on dosing after a water change, you should probably wait a few hours for the new water to circulate through the tank before testing.

If you're really anal about it, you can test again a couple hours after dosing to see what affect your dosing had.

Assuming that you started at 0ppm for both, you would add 2-3 ml of the KH2PO4 solution to give you 1-1.5ppm of PO4. Then add between 6-8ml of the KNO3 solution to get you at 10+ppm of NO3.

Tom Barr's estimative index will have you dosing 8-10ppm of NO3 and 1ppm of PO4 every other day (Sa, M, W, F, with Sa being a 50% water change day). Dose traces on the alternating days (Su, Tu, Th), probably about 3ml of Flourish of TMG per dose.

You'll also want to keep your CO2 levels up in the 20-30ppm range under your lighting, in which case the bio-wheel is definitely a liability as it will outgas precious CO2.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
During the week of my first time testing I should check on the stats of nutrient consumption? I do have CO2 injection, but I don't have KH tester. Plan to get one later. Tests kits I currently have is one from AP master FW test kit.
Also, why would I be wanting to dose so much ferts in one day? I don't think the plants will use it up in 2 days? Correct me if I'm wrong and is it a proven theory that all the nutrients will be gone?

·
Registered
676 Posts
The goal isn't to make sure the plants deplete all the ferts before redosing, it's to maintain sufficient levels of everything so that plants can maintain a steady diet.

I typically test once a week, a couple of hours after I dose after my Saturday change. I shoot for 10-15ppm of NO3 and 1-2ppm of PO4, so right after my 50% water change I'll dose 10ppm of NO3 and 1ppm of PO4. After a couple of hours I'll test to see where I'm at. Today I was still low on NO3 after dosing so I added enough to get me to ~12ppm. M,W,F I dose about 5ppm of NO3 and .5ppm of PO4, and because of my fish load I dose about 10ppm of K.

About once a month I'll test on Wednesday to see if I need to adjust my mid week dosing amounts, but I rarely do.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reading somewhere that you can't dose all that ferts all in one time. Is it bad to do that and are there any ill efects? Also, can I dose PO4 and NO3 together? Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
PO4 and Fe are typically dosed on separate days or else the PO4 will bind to the Fe and cloud up the water (the water clears again when the bond breaks down in a few hours). It's more of an asthetics thing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts