Aquatic Plant Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have marked this thread and followed what's going on with 'Auatic Magic', but today, when I tried to bring it back on my screen I'm constantly receiving this message:

"edwardn, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation. "

Is the Amin of this Forum trying to discourage me from followin these developments?

I'm interested, because I'm also a victim of a dirty practices of "Aquatic Magic", discovering today that not only they send to me decomposed small plants with a big stench, and plants partly rotten - without a credit or replacement regardless what they have written in their e-mails, but they attempted to defraud me from an additional $40.90 ( for nothing, since I did not place another order!!!) after they shipped plants to me with the Custom Declaration stating that the package contains .... 'Home decorations' ( I retained their packing for proof )!!!

I managed to cancel that charge, but this only resulted in a statement that I refused to pay for the charge...

I'm going to notify US Customs about 'Aquatic Magic' practices, as well as USDA and the Post Master. Also I'm going to raise a stench with E-Bay in order to ban them from unfair and crooked competition with american aquatic plants growers.

So where is that thread I'm asking for?

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
AquaticMagic's sponsorship is no more and their sponsor forum has been removed (and everything in it). For more information, you should probably contact an Admin. via PM or email.

I'm sorry to hear that you, too, had such a horrible experience with them. If you want to contact USDA, you need to go through APHIS; they are the regulators of shipping and documenting plant materials. Good luck with EBay. It seems they would act in your favor given the details, but you never know.

-Dave

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it was OK to order from them until they did you wrong?
I ordered from Aquatic Magic once only. It seemed O.K. at the time of ordering, but it wasn't O.K. already upon receiving!

Then I learned that others had problems with 'them', and that these were a serious problem involving breaking federal rules. And upon checking the pakaging, I also found out that, as in other cases, 'they' swindle US Government and the guilty was somebody like mi - a trusting sucker ordering plants!!!

So that is why it was O.K. to order from 'them' and learn at the same time about dealing with a calculated swindler. And posting a warning for everybody....

One time is too much for me in such a situation, and would there be a timely warning, as in the thread, which is no longer available, I wouldn't risk a penny, not talking about consequences, of which I also wasn' privy!

And it is a pity that said thread was removed, for without clear and permanent warning, Aquatic Magic will continue posting on E-Bay and finding other suckers, who will land with rooten plants and problems with unwitting smuggling plants into US as ...'Home decorations'!

And I hoped all this would be clear just to anybody...

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
EdwardN I bought from them too - not knowing about the certificates needed. I am used to dealing with honest companies. I just assume everyone follows the rules. I understand what you are saying. Everyone isn't so worldly savvy.... :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
I ordered from them right before this blew up here and my status hasnt changed so i'm hoping they actually shipped it and its just taking time to get here

·
Premium Member
8,540 Posts
I ordered from them right before this blew up here and my status hasnt changed so i'm hoping they actually shipped it and its just taking time to get here
What Edward is saying is that you can be fined, and marked with the government for smuggling in, illegally, plants from another country. That is what happened to him. He now has a record with the Government. They told him they are keeping an eye on Aquatic Magic for illegal smuggling. You don't want to be caught up in that! They are supposed to be shipping with some sort of certificate which causes inspection of the plants.....

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
Aquatic Magic's forum is gone, as well as all the threads that were in it. I understand your concerns for other potential buyers. APC has taken steps for our members by contacting AquaticMagic over their practices, with the result being the mutual end of their sponsorship on our forum. We have no say over any Aquabid or Ebay transactions, and it would be silly for our site to comment on any transactions there. As with any purchase, it's the buyer's responsibility to research before making a transaction.

If you'd like to post your experiences, free to write a review under the Stores Review. Please keep the review based on facts only, please!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Aquatic Magic's forum is gone, as well as all the threads that were in it. I understand your concerns for other potential buyers. APC has taken steps for our members by contacting AquaticMagic over their practices, with the result being the mutual end of their sponsorship on our forum. We have no say over any Aquabid or Ebay transactions, and it would be silly for our site to comment on any transactions there. As with any purchase, it's the buyer's responsibility to research before making a transaction.

If you'd like to post your experiences, free to write a review under the Stores Review. Please keep the review based on facts only, please!
I beg to differ!

It's somehow shocking to learn that... "We have no say over any Aquabid or Ebay transactions, and it would be silly for our site to comment on any transactions there. As with any purchase, it's the buyer's responsibility to research before making a transaction."

And joining this Forum, I thought that I'm joining some sort of a COMMUNITY of all of us with similar interests, looking to solve our problems and help others to solve theirs, as well as learn through reading of experience of others, etc. - all leading to form some sort of virtual ( and not only...) friendship.

In my view of all this, where are we ...'silly' trying to protect each other from unscrupulous ones trying to swindle us, or our Government in their commercial practices by breaking existing laws and competing unfairly with american growers?!

I'm firmly convinved that we ought to warn each other about such plant sellers, as Aquatic Magic, for in their practices there is a very little 'magic', but a whole lot of swindling!!!

And we are not talking here only about receiving rottin plants for our money, but by consciously, or not, we are taking part in a criminal scam, for it was not only I, who received plants smuggled into US under false Custom Declaration as a 'Home ornament', but by checking Aquatic Magic data on E-Bay, there were close to 18 thousand sales, mostly plant orders in the last 12 months!!

Has any, if at all, had been exported to this Country with a plant health certificate, as required by law ?

Just think about this fact: 18 000 times in only last 12 months your Goverment was cheated !!!

What is more - if caught, those 18 000 buyers could be criminally prosecuted for importing plants without license, etc.!!!!!!!!

United we stand....

·
Registered
173 Posts
What Edward is saying is that you can be fined, and marked with the government for smuggling in, illegally, plants from another country. That is what happened to him. He now has a record with the Government. They told him they are keeping an eye on Aquatic Magic for illegal smuggling. You don't want to be caught up in that! They are supposed to be shipping with some sort of certificate which causes inspection of the plants.....
i didnt order plants.. i ordered a difuser

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He,he... it that case you will get away with a ...misdeminor!;)

By the way, if you will need another one - I have a brand new, glass one, from Foster & Smith( it was a part of their CO2 setup).

·
Registered
173 Posts
what do you want for it? i might need another one eventually

·
Premium Member
2,096 Posts
I beg to differ!

It's somehow shocking to learn that... "We have no say over any Aquabid or Ebay transactions, and it would be silly for our site to comment on any transactions there. As with any purchase, it's the buyer's responsibility to research before making a transaction."

And joining this Forum, I thought that I'm joining some sort of a COMMUNITY of all of us with similar interests, looking to solve our problems and help others to solve theirs, as well as learn through reading of experience of others, etc. - all leading to form some sort of virtual ( and not only...) friendship.

In my view of all this, where are we ...'silly' trying to protect each other from unscrupulous ones trying to swindle us, or our Government in their commercial practices by breaking existing laws and competing unfairly with american growers?!.

I'm firmly convinved that we ought to warn each other about such plant sellers, as Aquatic Magic, for in their practices there is a very little 'magic', but a whole lot of swindling!!!
I understand your frustration over your predicament. The method to further your goal has already been proposed - post a review in the Stores Review section.

And we are not talking here only about receiving rottin plants for our money, but by consciously, or not, we are taking part in a criminal scam, for it was not only I, who received plants smuggled into US under false Custom Declaration as a 'Home ornament', but by checking Aquatic Magic data on E-Bay, there were close to 18 thousand sales, mostly plant orders in the last 12 months!!

Has any, if at all, had been exported to this Country with a plant health certificate, as required by law ?

Just think about this fact: 18 000 times in only last 12 months your Goverment was cheated !!!

What is more - if caught, those 18 000 buyers could be criminally prosecuted for importing plants without license, etc.!!!!!!!!
Again, you can 'do your part' by posting in the Review section. You can also contact the government about the problem. Seeing how they are likely targeting AM packages, I'm guessing they are aware of it already. Contact E-bay, contact Aquabid. As for APC, we were made aware of the situation and handled it for our members as we were able.

Thinking that a forum or our individual members are responsible to 'fix' that situation is still in my opinion unreasonable - that's what the government is for.

Your point has been made - Aquatic Magic does not follow government rules, people should be aware of it. APC has addressed the issue on our forum - we contacted AM and their sponsorship has ended. If you'd like to address this further on the board - again - you can post a review.

Since this discussion keeps going in circles, remember - if you wish to pursue this further on APC, post a review. Hopefully, I won't have to repeat myself again, as the recommendation will remain the same.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Although I understand this persons frustration.I must agree with you. It is up to the customer to research before purchasing not after. If they had posted here prior we would have warned not to purchase plants from AM. That is what we the community are here for, to help and provide information for each other.

As for the person who purchased the diffuser from them. Not to worry AM is usually where I purchase my glassware needs (and other non plant orders). The products usually take 2 weeks to arrive. But you will be satisfied with their product. I have ordered from them many times and ADA, to be honest both are equal imo of quality.

I am writing not to rehash wounds but to help this person from future problems with ANY aquatic plant purchase. You must research before you buy. You test drive a car prior to purchase, so post a thread asking if anyone had issues with a company or what their general opinion of their service was. Also always use paypal to complete purchases. Most if not all companies accept them (if they don't, DO NOT bother with them). Paypal protects the customer and company, if there is an issue they will intervene and mediate the situation.

Again I am not attacking anyone here. Just trying to help in future plant purchases.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
I am seeing a desire here for APC to have advice for plant buyers posted prominently, perhaps as a sticky in the Announcements forum, perhaps as an article. I'll see what we can come up with. Any other suggestions or comments?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although I understand this persons frustration.I must agree with you. It is up to the customer to research before purchasing not after. If they had posted here prior we would have warned not to purchase plants from AM. That is what we the community are here for, to help and provide information for each other.

As for the person who purchased the diffuser from them. Not to worry AM is usually where I purchase my glassware needs (and other non plant orders). The products usually take 2 weeks to arrive. But you will be satisfied with their product. I have ordered from them many times and ADA, to be honest both are equal imo of quality.

I am writing not to rehash wounds but to help this person from future problems with ANY aquatic plant purchase. You must research before you buy. You test drive a car prior to purchase, so post a thread asking if anyone had issues with a company or what their general opinion of their service was. Also always use paypal to complete purchases. Most if not all companies accept them (if they don't, DO NOT bother with them). Paypal protects the customer and company, if there is an issue they will intervene and mediate the situation.

Again I am not attacking anyone here. Just trying to help in future plant purchases.
You and other 'Moderators' talk about a customer's responsibility to do research about risks in seemingly simple act of purchasing of, as prozaic item as it might be an aquarium plant from a seller from a foreign country, and is this paricular case - on E-bay.

Now, how enybody would be able to do that 'research', or, even think about the necessity of such, if the threads like mine seems to by hardly of any welcome on this Forum ( or, at least some posts gave me that impression...)?

I would expect that any act against your Country, no matter how inocuus it might appear to any sideliner, calls for an decisive action and not for choosing sides just because some part of a swindler's practices appear to be legitimate ones.

Would you support any 'cheeter' taking exams in your education process and by this having an unfair advantage over the rest and honest ones?

Has at any time Aquaric Magic filled 1040 or anything of a sort, and paid any taxes as Americans are forced/required to do?

I'm not going to continue this matter ab ovo or da capo al fine, but a continous warning should be posted for all potencial aquatic plant buyers and by doing so - victims of a fraudulent foreigner, in this case - Aquatic Magic from Jahor Bahru, Johor, Malajsia, shipping from Singapore as ...'Home decoration' avoiding to provide required plant health certificate, etc.

I have spoken.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I can see my advice has fallen upon deaf ears

I am seeing a desire here for APC to have advice for plant buyers posted prominently, perhaps as a sticky in the Announcements forum, perhaps as an article. I'll see what we can come up with. Any other suggestions or comments?
Yes this is a good idea. A thread where people can rate their experience with a company/person. Something like a poll where they rate customer service, shipping costs, shipping speed, etc..

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
I can see my advice has fallen upon deaf ears

Yes this is a good idea. A thread where people can rate their experience with a company/person. Something like a poll where they rate customer service, shipping costs, shipping speed, etc..
I don't think a poll would provide any real benefit. The vast majority of buyers have a positive experience with AM. Just look at the rating on Ebay. And certainly they were a sponsor here for quite sometime before this came to light. The problem is the legality of what they are doing and the risk one takes in ordering plants from them and issues one faces if they are one of the few unlucky ones. HeyPk I think your idea of a sticky of some sort is the best approach.

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Yes, if we can find a good way to get information across in a sticky, that would be great. Another wonderful way is to do what hooha suggested, post a review in the Store Reviews section.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.