Aquatic Plant Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haha the only place i can find these are az aquatic gardens. no fish stores in my city can order them and i only want to buy 1-3 small ones. i was just wondering if anyone knew of any other places _online or in texas_ to obtain these fish.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Where are you in Texas? I have frequently seen them here in Corpus Christi, and I have seen a few in San Antonio last time I was there.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I saw they had one large one at Alamo Aquatics, but I cant remember the name of the other place. Ill ask my gf when she gets off work tonight and post it up. There was another store that had lots of crypts, 2 for a dollar, and a dollar a piece!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blackhole,
haha that was probably fintique. they always have crypts for that price even c. griffithii and nurii. i havent been able to keep either alive. what was the name of the other store? when were you here last?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It was either at texas tropical and marine or fintique. I wont ever go back to texas tropical and marine though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah dont waste your time there ahaha. mind if ask why? bad plants right? i talked to russ at fintique today and he said he could order some in about two weeks. they label them as algae eating sharks. weird

·
Registered
199 Posts
doug737 said:
they label them as algae eating sharks. weird
Here in Atlanta, GA I bought 3 SAE's under the name of Algae eating sharks. Seems to one of the many common names this fish is being sold under.

Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi bro.. may i know why are u getting your SAE? Here in singapore there are plenty of poeple giving up their SAE including myself as the fishes tend to eat not just algae but fish food or worms. once they tasted the alternative food, they would not eat algae.
Mine even have the tendency to eat my christmas moss.
to me ottocinclus is mush better.. just my two cents..

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was kind of wondering the same thing. I gave up on these fish awhile ago. Once I caught them eating my Tonina they were out. Then not two days later I was at a friends house and noticed them eating his Rotala wallachii. His were gone very soon as well.

Also they get too big and are ugly and like fastlee84 said they really won't eat much algae once they get a taste for flake or something else. I don't think I ever saw mine eat algae from the day I bought them. My two cents.

Robert.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Doug 737,

I'm taking down a 55g tank this weekend and would be willing to ship you my SAE's. I think I have 4-5 of them in the tank. No cost for the fish, just whatever the shipping would be. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mat i pmed you.

i am getting them for black algae. i have 3 otos now and they dont touch it. im not too worried about saes eating other foods, my other fish are a pair of A. lineatus killies, which are fed at the surface and get food right when it hits the water

im trying to keep this tank all aisian species, so i want to replace otos an sae, and i want to keep fish load low

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My saes dont eat much algae either, but they are such cool fish, i love to watch them play and they are very photogenic when resting on plant leaves :)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Reduce feedings and see if that changes. I have adult SAEs in one tank and they still do a good job at eating it. I must admit I do not feed regularly however, I usually skip a day or two each week and only feed once a day when I do feed them. Perhaps that may help remind them that there are other foods in the tank other than flake. I recently removed a load of java ferns from my tank and the driftwood below had some BBA on it where the fish were unable to get to it, within a week of it being exposed it was all gone. I also gave two larger adults that had outgrown my 55 gallon to a friend of mine and they cleaned up his discus tank in a matter of weeks. He loves them.

I have not yet had any problems with them eating tonina but Wallichi did get eaten up quickly, not sure by who but likely the SAEs or algelfish.

Giancarlo Podio

Robert B said:
I was kind of wondering the same thing. I gave up on these fish awhile ago. Once I caught them eating my Tonina they were out. Then not two days later I was at a friends house and noticed them eating his Rotala wallachii. His were gone very soon as well.

Also they get too big and are ugly and like fastlee84 said they really won't eat much algae once they get a taste for flake or something else. I don't think I ever saw mine eat algae from the day I bought them. My two cents.

Robert.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have never had a problem with the SAE's not scanning for algae (though I don't have very much). They come out at feeding time and nibble on some of the delights I feed and then go back to cleaning/eating algae after that. I just don't feed my tanks real heavy so maybe that has something to do with it.

They do seem to have a taste for R. Wallachi like mentioned though. I've read many accounts of sae's eating it, and they definately ate mine.

Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi bros..
I think having SAEs, Ottos, even Cigar fish would only solve the solution temporarily. I've read from another forum such as AQ, they state that if you play with the water parameters, BBA may be wipe out completely.
Pls give your opinion on this?

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
I used to think also that once they started eating flake food they quit eating algae until one I had in a 10 gal tank died and I decided he wasn't worth replacing. Within a week I started seeing filamentous algae showing up here and there. 3 weeks later, I ordered some more, and a week after they came in, all algae was gone. I feed once a day. The sae's are there with the rest of the fish eating flakes or brine shrimp, but I know later on they're on the prowl for algae. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
739 Posts
fastlee84 said:
Hi bros..
I think having SAEs, Ottos, even Cigar fish would only solve the solution temporarily. I've read from another forum such as AQ, they state that if you play with the water parameters, BBA may be wipe out completely.
Pls give your opinion on this?
My opinion is that algae eaters play a large role in keeping a tank clean. Sure you can find that "perfect" balance where you don't need any, but it doesn't leave you much room for error. If you can keep the fish alive I feel they are just as much a long term solution as any other. You obviously can't rely on these fish to solve an algae problem on their own, you must solve it yourself, but once you have that under control they will help clean up the tank of leftover algae and also help keep it clean as long as it is growing slower than they are eating it.

Giancarlo Podio

1 - 20 of 21 Posts